Block MAC addresses assigned a static IP bug

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

monoufo

Re: Block MAC addresses assigned a static IP bug

Post by monoufo »

Hello. We have been using Gargoyle for a couple weeks now, since Comcast decided to flag our account. We are used to using more than 500GB per month, and we now have to limit ourselves to 250GB. There are a lot of people using this connection. We would be happy to give comcast more money, but they don't want it, It is very important for us that this software works.

We will make some feature requests soon, and possibly give donations to get them, if we have problems. For now, I need to report that this bug still exists. We need to control people's IP address. Since the quota system works by IP instead of mac like it should, we need to control people's IPs, and not let them have more than one. We don't want people getting around the quota rules and stealing other people's internet for the month.

This computer is assigned IP 2, yet I am connected right now as IP 10. The block static from different IPs feature is not working. I am using version 10.0.10. Is this bug fixed in version 12? when did it get reintroduced? Without this feature, the smartest people could trivially use someone elses quota.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

If the issue is present in 1.0.10, I would expect it to be present in 1.0.12 -- no modifications were made to this feature in between these versions.

However, as I mentioned at the beginning of this thread I have had a very hard time replicating this issue (though I will try again tonight). Could you please verify that you can access web sites on the internet (not just ping the AP)? This blocking feature does not block access between hosts of the LAN, only to hosts outside the LAN (which is what Quotas apply to anyway).

If you can access external hosts from the LAN, can you please do the following to help me identify the issue: Login to the router via ssh, run the following commands and either post the output in this thread or send it to me via pm:

Code: Select all

uci show network
uci show firewall
iptables -t filter -L -v

monoufo

Post by monoufo »

Yes I can access external websites. I tried to imply that I was making that post from the computer with the wrong IP address. I guess I wasn't clear. I will run those commands for you, but can't right now. I am not on that network, nor do I have remote access enabled, nor do I have a hostname set up for that network. I will run those commands later when I get home.

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

I used to work for Comcast.

If you can swing it, you should really try and limit to around 200GB.

Comcast doesn't just flag the account, they flag the ADDRESS.

I.E. if its repeated abuse, they will drop you and won't let any other
people at the address sign up for service.

EVEN if its a completely different name.

They will want to send someone out to the house to meet, and
make sure nobody from the prior account is there.

Its not worth it to them to lose 1 customer because it can affect
the whole area you are in. There is a junction that feeds groups
of areas with houses, and that junction has a certain amount of
bandwidth. So when 1 house is using a ton of bandwidth, it can
cause issues / slowdowns, etc for the rest of the area its in.

Thats why Comcast will just up and drop you and flag the
house address and not let any new 'related' people sign up there.

It's in their terms of service, they can drop you for ANY reason
and they do not have to justify to you why they did it.

In other words - be careful if you like your internet :shock:
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

monoufo

Post by monoufo »

comcast considers each room "apartment" here a separate address. We don't want to get disconnected, because having anyone else sign up would be very inconvenient and everything. But If they did cut us off, someone else could sign up with a business account and problem solved. They shouldn't sell what they don't have. Many of us there use the internet for a TV. Many of us don't have a TV. I could hook up a satelite receiver, but I can't exactly sign up for a lease on the HD DVR receiver I would need. I won't be there for a whole more year. The only way people can afford satellite is by sharing that too.

Comcast has been letting us go over the cap from October until August. I'm going to set the global cap around 240GB, they should be ok with it. There are way more people sharing this connection then there should be. But you can't just buy two or three modems and put them together. They should offer people better service levels at higher prices.

zorelina

Post by zorelina »

What are products those are used for offering ADSL Service? The ISP uses some products in order to offer a DSL service. What are these products name and their brands and models (examples) ? How do they use them? How do they design their speed packages?
Last edited by zorelina on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

Zorelina - check this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subscriber_line

Cable internet is usually much faster than DSL - so if
you can get Cable internet - its the preferred hookup!

There is also a new tech called FiOS - Fiber optic hookup

DSL is usually the cheapest internet

Cable is about mid-range pricing

FiOS is pretty expensive, they have starter deals, but after
the specials are done, the price is up there.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400