WR841N V11 V11.1 installation instructions Error 18005

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

skysurf76

WR841N V11 V11.1 installation instructions Error 18005

Post by skysurf76 »

Tonight I configured three new WR841N V11.1 routers I got from Amazon for work. The first router took the Gargoyle factory image just fine using the web gui firmware update. The other two repeatedly gave me Error 18005. I couldn't find much to help me so I wanted to type this up real quick to help anyone else with the problem.

Since version 8 of the WR841N routers there is a feature in the firmware such that when you power on the router while holding the reset button the firmware will look for a specific IP on the network that must be running a TFTP server with a file with a specific name available. It is there to allow you to recover if you should ever brick the router. What you do is take an image that you would use to upgrade the router from its factory state, and name it correctly, then do the above procedure and it will load the image from the TFTP server running on your computer.

The following link gives the names that you should rename your image to based on the version of the router...

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl ... v9_v10_v11

And for more exact instructions see the following link...

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl ... ble_needed

I'm very experienced with this stuff and still spent about 3 hours on this tonight trying all sorts of crap. Whenever this happens I like to take a few minutes to document it so maybe I can save someone else a few hours work. Good luck.

tapper

Re: WR841N V11 V11.1 installation instructions Error 18005

Post by tapper »

Thanks TP-Link are a pane in the ass for doing this crap! We have a lot of people who have the same error with c7's.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

d3fz

Re: WR841N V11 V11.1 installation instructions Error 18005

Post by d3fz »

That helps a lot, thank you for this.

We should probably gather all information/instructions about this particular problem and put it into some sort of FAQ fixed thread.

It might be easier to find information/solution about it, and help other people with the same problem.

Just a thought.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1