gargoyle QoS feedback

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

AF35

gargoyle QoS feedback

Post by AF35 »

Dear all,

i have recently played around with the gargoyle QoS setting and I'd like to provide a little feed back on version 1.1.7
my max upload speed is 65KB/s so i have set my max QoS upload to 600kbps.

my main goal is to make sure my VOIP and skype calls can go through before everybody else so those two settings are on the top of my list. and I can confirm by having my current setting, gargoyle works beautifully with my BT uploading at full speed (60KB/s) and still manage to dial and receive VOIP and skype calls. it feels great watching the BT uplink automatically drops down and give way to the VOIP traffic! :D

I have not yet try to max out all the available sessions (16384) with VOIP and skype. but for a WRT-54GL i can feel the QoS is already working better than DD-WRT and is approaching tomato quality.

i know this is all very subjective experience, however, I'd just like to give a thumb up to Paul Bixel and all the developers to produce such a neat firmware! :D

ps. i read from the change log that there's another update related to QoS. I will give that a try when i have a chance :)

pbix
Developer

Re: gargoyle QoS feedback

Post by pbix »

I too came to Gargoyle from DD-WRT because of the abysmal state of its QoS. Not only does it seem to be broken but no developer seems the slightest bit interested in fixing it.

FYI, v1.1.7 is rather old and newer versions of Gargoyle will provide even better QoS performance. You should really upgrade which is also a snap vs the pain one suffer upgrading DD-WRT.

I have more plans for QoS so stay tuned.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM