Wireless bridge/repeater - can't access admin

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

RichMD

Wireless bridge/repeater - can't access admin

Post by RichMD »

I purchased a WRT1900AC and want to use my NetGear 3700 (running Gargoyle 1.61/1.62) as a WIRED AP. I selected the wireless bridge/repeater and it picked up the SSID from my Linksys so I selected that and used the same password. I believe I had selected an unused IP 192.168.1.247 but after trying a few times it is set as 192.168.1.236. I saw it defaulted to have the WAN port disabled so I connected the long cable from my linksys to one of the 4 ports and then connected a few other devices which did get internet connectivity. However, I have tried accessing 192.168.1.236 and it times out. I verified that is the IP by looking at the network map via the linksys. How should I have it hooked up and configured to use the 1GB ethernet connection to my main router? Thanks in advance for any help. :D

chaseme5

Re: Wireless bridge/repeater - can't access admin

Post by chaseme5 »

To setup a wireless bridge properly you need 3 pieces of hardware. Router, Access point, wireless clients or stations.

To setup a repeater you lock on to the routers AP or SSID.

Your problem is most likely your channel width and your channel. Change channel width to 20Mhz. Make sure your wireless router and repeater is set to the same channel and same channel width. Turn off security to test.

To have N speeds you need to have a channel width of 40 Mhz.

Setup a temporary manual network to reconnect to your device that is unreachable. In ipv4 turn off automatic and change to manual.

A lot of times a repeater is not reachable wirelessly for configuration. This is normal. Connect to a computer via Ethernet cable to reach the device.

I do not like repeaters, they are not reliable. I use AP's connected to stations or wireless client's(same thing). Way better than a repeater.

Most router's have an auto detect feature enabled for network 1GB speeds.