WR841ND v8 reflash

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

lwrver2

WR841ND v8 reflash

Post by lwrver2 »

Been waiting for some time to flash my TP-WR841ND V8 to Gargoyle. The latest Gargoyle firmware v1.5.11 finally has a version for the WR841 v8 listed, but I have been unable to get it to reflash. The factory firmware does not recognize the new version of Gargoyle. Any explanation for this problem or possibly a way around it?

Thanks

lwrver2

Re: WR841ND v8 reflash

Post by lwrver2 »

Well, I have asked this question at least twice in the past year without a resolution, so I thought I'd try to answer it myself this time. I remembered a post from another member back last December, who suggested downloading and then renaming the file before trying to perform the upgrade. So, I downloaded the latest Gargoyle firmware file for the WR871ND Revision 8, and then renamed the file from "gargoyle_1.5.11-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v8-squashfs-factory.bin" to "factory-to-gargoyle.bin". Simple enough to do and this time the file was authenticated and the upgrade completed normally. I now have a WR871ND V8 running Gargoyle 1.5.11 and it works perfectly. The new version of Gargoyle with Multi-Language support is quite impressive. My thanks to the Gargoyle development team.

ispyisail

Re: WR841ND v8 reflash

Post by ispyisail »

so I thought I'd try to answer it myself this time
sometimes this is the best way with open source