WDS is killing me!

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Uunko

WDS is killing me!

Post by Uunko »

Hi all. Gargoyle noobie here.

I've just installed the latest 1.16 verson on my wl-500gp v2. I'm impressed with the clean looks and uncluttered menus.

I do however have a situation that's driving me mental. I can no way get WDS working between the AP wl-500gp v2 and client Belkin FSD7230-4. So far...

Flashed 1.16
Reset to defaults in System / Backup / Restore
Set up AP+WDS
Wireless MAC Filter: Enabled
MAC Filter Policy: Wireless MACs entered
Set up WPA PSK (Tried WEP and none)
Set up MACs to bridge
Set up MACs to allow to connect (Other WDS MAC Addresses:)
Set same SSID
Set same channel
Wireless Client Isolation: Enabled (Tried disabled)
Disabled Broadcast SSID (tried both ways)

I'm using Static IPs DHCP assigned for all devices.

I was running Tomato 1.25 and all was working but I really like the essentials of Gargoyle. Plus I think it's faster. :)

Anyway everything is working fine except WDS. Any pointers / assistance would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Eric
Site Admin

Re: WDS is killing me!

Post by Eric »

It's not just you -- this is a real issue.

Getting WDS/Repeater mode working properly on broadcom devices (Atheros wireless works fine) has been a thorn in my side for a while. Bridging works, but when I need both a client and an ap SSID (as in repeating/WDS), it tends not to work.

I do know about this, and I have been working on it, but it's an incredibly frustrating issue. This is partly because the broadcom drivers are proprietary (closed source), so fixing anything is a bit tricky.

If you just need to bridge two devices, you can set it to client bridge and it should work. If you actually need a repeater, you might be better off going back to Tomato (for now).

grogi

Post by grogi »

Eric wrote:If you just need to bridge two devices, you can set it to client bridge and it should work. If you actually need a repeater, you might be better off going back to Tomato (for now).
Or going back to OpenWRT 7.09. It worked that time and since you want it on the repeater, not the actual I-net router, that shouldn't be a huge issue.

medalto

Post by medalto »

I've just tried AP+WDS and it locked the system up completely.
- lots of flashing lights on the router and no connection.