Bandwidth Sharing

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

ruriruri

Bandwidth Sharing

Post by ruriruri »

I want to share my 20M/1M cable bandwidth with 5 users. I want each user to have 4M/0.2M bandwidth. Each user has at least 3 devices (PC, iPhone, iPad).

I have been playing around the QoS trying to make this work. I can limit each device/IP to have set bandwidth. But I don't know how to limit the bandwidth per user (group of devices). So user can share their set bandwidth within their devices.

Any ideas?

pbix
Developer

Re: Bandwidth Sharing

Post by pbix »

So are you saying then that if only one user is using the internet that he should still be limited to 4Mbps? This seems like a waste of available bandwidth and not what most people do in your situation. But if you want to pursue this Gargoyle can do it.

Please read the QoS Wiki http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=qos and think about what you want. Then we will continue this if you are still confused.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

ruriruri

Post by ruriruri »

It is a waste of bandwidth, but at least one user can't hog the whole bandwidth when someone is watching online video.

QoS can only limit per IP address. I can limit 4M download per IP. So if each user has 3 devices. That user can use 12M download in total. I want to know if there is a method to limit 4M download per user regardless of the IPs/devices they have.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

ruriruri wrote:It is a waste of bandwidth, but at least one user can't hog the whole bandwidth when someone is watching online video.
Would it not be better if they shared the bandwidth equally rather than just limit them to 4mbps? If they share then one person cannot hog the whole bandwidth.
ruriruri wrote:QoS can only limit per IP address. I can limit 4M download per IP. So if each user has 3 devices. That user can use 12M download in total. I want to know if there is a method to limit 4M download per user regardless of the IPs/devices they have.
Not sure where you got this from but nothing about these statements are true. Gargoyle QoS limits things by classes not by IP address.

You should make four classes, one for each user. Then assign each class 25% of the bandwidth in the percent utilization column leaving the other columns at their defaults.

Assign each device in the house a known IP address on DHCP screen such that it always gets the same address based on its MAC address.

Then make a rule for each device that is being used such that traffic from/to that device gets directed to the class of the person to who that device belongs to.

After these are configured on both the upload and download QoS pages enable the ACC on the QoS download page.

If you follow my advice Gargoyle will share bandwidth equally between the users regardless of which of their devices they are using. You will also not need to be limited to 4mbps but will share whatever bandwidth is available equally.

Peace will be restored to your household.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

ruriruri

Post by ruriruri »

Genius! I am going to try this. But does this means I will need to remove the default classes in qos?

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

You can add additional classes or remove classes you are not using as you like.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

ruriruri

Post by ruriruri »

This works pretty well. But is there a way to add a range of IPs rather than enter 1 IP at a time?

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

You cannot use a range but you can use CIDR notation.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM