wake on lan

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

smiler

wake on lan

Post by smiler »

Hello,

I´m trying to do wake on lan from my router to a server wich is located behind a 2nd router configured as wirelss bridge, but it doesn´t work. But doing the wake on lan from the wireless bridge works.
This is my network setup:

Code: Select all

|DSL-Modem|---cable---|Router 1|---wlan---|Router 2|---cable---|desktop|
                               |                   |---cable---|server|
                               |---wlan---|PS 3|
                               |---wlan---|laptop|
  • Router 1 is a Netgear WNDR3700 with Openwrt 10.03.1-rc5
    Router 2 is a Linksys WRT54GS with Gargoyle 1.5.0 configured as wireless bridge
***** Edit *****
After posting this post ;-) I've seen, that the quote section does not show my network config in a readable form. So I try to explain with words:

- Router 1 is my main device which enables the connect to the internet, serves ip adresses with dhcp and acts as a wlan access point for wireless clients like laptops and my ps3.
- Router 2 is configured as wireless client bridge and is connected by wlan to the Router 1
- A Desktop and a server are connected by cable to router 2. They get internet access and ip addresses fromn router 1. Everything semms to work fine except upnp media streaming and wake on lan

Should it be possible to make the wake on lan "call" from router 1 to wake up the server and the desktop?
From Router 2 it works perfectly, but I´d like to use wake on lan from router 1. Any hints?

Thank you in advance
best regards

Thomas
Last edited by smiler on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hnl_dk

Re: wake on lan

Post by hnl_dk »

Just like the other thread you made. Disable the repeater part: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... f=6&t=1765
Router: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4
AP: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

@hnl_dk

Are you sure you can wake up a PC on a different subnet/NAT?

From my undersatnding wakeup on LAN uses port 9 and you would need to set up port forwarding etc.

I could never get it to work through another router?

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

ispyisail wrote:@hnl_dk

Are you sure you can wake up a PC on a different subnet/NAT?

From my undersatnding wakeup on LAN uses port 9 and you would need to set up port forwarding etc.

I could never get it to work through another router?
Yes, at least I am able to do so at work... but if I understand correctly he is only using one subnet... "router2" is "only" a "wirelss bridge/repeater".
Router: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4
AP: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4

smiler

Post by smiler »

Hello hnl_dk,

I will check this today evening.
thanks for your help.

Best regards

Thomas

smiler

Post by smiler »

Hello,
unfortunately I could not find a "disable repaeter" switch in my gargoyle web ui (see my other post about my upnp problem)

Does someone another hint, wether wake on lan should work from my router 1?

Thank you and best regards

Thomas

smiler

Post by smiler »

Hello,
yesterday, I made further testing to find out the problem and resolve it.

I connected my laptop with a cable to th edevice router 1 and turned it off. After that I tried to wake it up by "wake-on-lan" from my desktop (which is located "behind" the gargoyle wireless bridge "gargoyle"). And ist worked!

So my conclusion at htis point:

Wake on lan seems to work from "behind" the gargoyle device router 2 which is working as wireless bridge.
Wake on lan definitely does not work with my setup from router 1 or devices connected to router 1 for waking up devices behind the gargoyle device.
wake on lan works from my gargoyle device to wake up devices behind this device.

ok, how to come to a solution?

any ideas?

I tried to monitor wol packages with tcpdump, but following different hints (found with google) no packets were caught. Didn't matter if wol was successful or not. :-(

Can someone help me?

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards

Thomas

cotarelo

Post by cotarelo »

Does any packet arrive from the desktop to the server?

I bet not. I think if you would connect the desktop via wlan it would work. LAN and WLAN ports does not seem to communicate on wireless bridge