Two Gargoyle routers, one network

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

1an

Two Gargoyle routers, one network

Post by 1an »

I have just acquired a WZR-HP-G300NH, and also have a WRT54GL (currently running 1.3.9, after experiencing some problems with 1.3.10)

My question is: Can I have both routers on the same subnet?

I would like to increase the number of wired connections from 4 if I use either router alone, to 7 or 8 if I use both. I would connect some older devices that do not have gigabit capabilities to the WRT54GL, and newer gigabit devices to the WZR-HP-G300NH.
I plan to run gargoyle on both (current version is 1.3.11). I use static ip addressess, each user gets a range of ip addresses for their devices, and each range is allocated a quota for the month. I am not currenly using QoS settings.

How best to configure such a setup? If I understand things correctly, I have a number of options

Option 1
WZR-HP-G300NH as the primary router, and connect the WRT54GL as a wireless bridge. All devices get their ip assigned by WZR-HP-G300NH, and quotas work as they currently do with only one router.
The advantage would be to have all 8 wired LAN ports available, but devices connected directly to the WRT54GL would be limited to 54Mps (wireless G speeds) when exchanging data with devices connected to the other router, or via the other router to the internet.

Option 2
WZR-HP-G300NH as the primary router, and connect the WRT54G WAN port to one of the LAN ports on the WZR-HP-G300NH. Put the same static ip address table in both routers (except for the WRT54GL, which would be only in the table on the WZR-HP-G300NH). Turn off wireless for WRT54GL
Disadvantage: 1 gigabit port is used for the connection to WRT54GL, leaving only 3 for other devices.

Option 3
WRT54G as the primary router, and connect the WZR-HP-G300NH WAN port
to a LAN port on the WRT54GL.
Preserves all of the gigabit ports for use with gigabit devices, but quotas get messy because they are split between 2 routers???

Comments or corrections welcome.

Ian
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH = Gargoyle 1.5.3
Linksys WRT54GL v1.2 = Gargoyle 1.3.13
SMC Barricade SMC2804WBRP-G = SMC firmware v2.08

fi5ban

Re: Two Gargoyle routers, one network

Post by fi5ban »

I have been using the wireless bridge method for a month now so far works great I have my slow devices there like printer on 2nd router. so the bandwith don't matter plus It is still faster than the cable modem and like you said the primary router still handles everything and the routers don't have to have a hard wire between them