QOS just for p2p downloads/streaming?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

tals

Re: QOS just for p2p downloads/streaming?

Post by tals »

I think you have nailed it. Testing my connection through speedtest.net gives me between a 2mb and 3mb connection, the results were so bad that I took my Billion out of storage to verify this (It squeezes around 1/2 mb more) Upload is equally poor at around .35mb.

Now I will test this again tomorrow morning as I am around 90% sure that this is not usual - i.e I have seen downloads great than 5mb (you may recall the link loads I stated earlier). But at the same time I maybe in an area that is getting overloaded. My isp shouldn't throttle the connection at all (Zen internet).

So the query is I guess I should set the connection to 3000 and try again - heartbreaking as that is :(
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Varying download bandwidth is unfortunately typical. Whether intentionally by the ISP or just because their system is overloaded. The good news is that this is exactly what the ACC is intended to compensate for. The ACC has a range of 5 to 1. So if you set it at 5000 it will go down to 1000 in its efforts to maintain your ping.

If your upload bandwidth also varies you will have no choice but to set the upload bandwidth to the minimum you can get. The ACC does not compensate for variations in upload bandwidth.

Good luck.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

tals

Post by tals »

Many thanks for your assistance, i'll feedback in the next few days how I get on.

Just tested the connection this morning and sure enough i'm back up to 7mb to 8mb download on speedtest and that large file you posted. In terms of other people reading this to get the best gaming experience it sounds like the http://www.speedtest.net done at varying times (evening will be peak) is the best thing todo (with QOS off as that does effect the results)

Regarding the range - is 1000 the minimum or if I set it say to 4500 will it go lower (900?)

tals

nb this may be useful for uk customers http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadband ... peeds.aspx which tends to reflect my own experience on speed and would suggest 2k is as low as it should get, so 5k is probably a good safe value, lets cross fingers

tals

Post by tals »

For my own info what do the three lines mean:

Link limit:
Fair Link limit:
Link load:

Connection is down to 4500 and that might be the sweet spot, still experimenting.

tals

Post by tals »

Helps if I look at the screen correctly :) For those who don't have Gargoyle
Link Limit The download bandwidth limit currently enforce.
Fair Link Limit The apparent fair download bandwidth limit.
Link Load The current traffic in the downlink.

tals

Post by tals »

Moving it down to 4200 seems to have works, I say seems as i've not had a proper test but watching the router its bringing down the pings whenever they go up so looking at it you get a spike as it detects it and then it sorts it which is perfect.

A couple of questions, is it technically not possible to have it do a higher ration, i.e start at 8000 and then come down (would need to go to 800 on my setup!) or is it something that can be enhanced.

I've not yet figured which way it goes in terms of restricting flow - I think it detects congestion - reduces it to the bottom ratio and then works up - is this the case or does it work down?

Many thanks for your assistance on this - still can't believe how bad my telecoms are at night :(

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Starting from the current limit the controller moves the limit down if the filtered ping is higher than the ping time limit and it moves it up if it is lower than the limit. The rate that it is moved depends on the amount of the difference and the direction it is going.

Glad you found some success with the ACC.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

tals

Post by tals »

More than some success - you really have nailed this system imho. I think part of the problem was understanding the importance of having a 'space' on the line for it not to get congested.

On the other point, is it possible the restriction could go from 8mb down to 512k - or would your concern be it would take too long, my thought would be whether an additional option for this type of scenario. UK connections are pretty abysmal like this - one day 8mb another 2mb - even stated in their TOC's :(

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

The 5:1 dynamic range of the ACC is a design decision on my part and while I could make it more I am not willing to take on the additional risk that some unexpected situation will arise and some novice user will have a bad experience. The ACC is a new idea never before attempted in any other router software so there is risk that it will completely fail to work properly for someone out there.

I realize that in your case you have to give up some top end speed but I suspect in reality your not giving up that much.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

luniq

Post by luniq »

Is there a way to change this dynamic range? I have a bit of a problem, often the download speed dropped to minimum abruptly and it takes a lot of time for the speed to increase sometimes it stuck at that speed although the ping time is below the limit. If im downloading and this happens everything slows down (surfing, youtube etc) although i have qos properly set. Perhaps by increasing the minimum download limit i can reduce the slow downs.