IPV6 over RNDIS

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

rockyd

IPV6 over RNDIS

Post by rockyd »

Does ipv6 work over a Mobile connection. It seems to show a IPV6 address in the status screen, but sites like
https://ipv6-test.com/ and
http://test-ipv6.com/
say its not supported. Connect the mobile directly to computer and the same sites say it is supported.

Lantis

Re: IPV6 over RNDIS

Post by Lantis »

No reason it shouldn’t.
Are you running something newer than 1.12 yet?
If so, please post your /etc/config/network
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

rockyd

Post by rockyd »

Gday Lantis,
Running 1.14 on one of my Netgear WNDR3800.
Tested it originally with my ISP and IPV6 works as expected, thought to try it with my mobile, I have IPV4, but IPV6 does not seem to work via Gargoyle, if I plug the phone into the VM directly IPV6 seems work normally. Something I have noticed on the VM is ipconfig has no 2001... IPV6 address, just some *I believe non routable) fdd1... IPV6 address's, when its connected via Gargoyle. But when the VM is connected directly to the phone the 2001.. IPV6 address's are there.

This is my network file contents

config interface 'loopback'
option ifname 'lo'
option proto 'static'
option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
option ula_prefix 'fdd1:b3b9:1e39::/48'

config interface 'lan'
option type 'bridge'
option ifname 'eth0.1'
option proto 'static'
option ipaddr '172.16.0.254'
option netmask '255.255.255.0'
option ip6assign '60'
option device 'br-lan'
option ip6ifaceid '::1'
option dns '172.16.0.254'

config device 'lan_eth0_dev'
option name 'eth0'
option macaddr '0a:bd:43:b0:ac:35'

config interface 'wan'
option ifname 'eth1.2'
option ipv6 '1'
option device 'usb0'
option proto 'dhcp'

config interface 'wan6'
option ifname 'eth1.2'
option proto 'dhcpv6'
option device 'usb0'

config switch
option name 'switch0'
option reset '1'
option enable_vlan '1'
option blinkrate '2'

config switch_vlan
option device 'switch0'
option vlan '1'
option ports '0 1 2 3 5t'

config switch_vlan
option device 'switch0'
option vlan '2'
option ports '5t'

config switch_port
option device 'switch0'
option port '1'
option led '6'

config switch_port
option device 'switch0'
option port '2'
option led '9'

config switch_port
option device 'switch0'
option port '5'
option led '2'

config device 'brlan_dev'
option name 'br-lan'
option type 'bridge'
list ports 'eth0'

config device 'wan_eth1_dev'
option name 'eth1'
option macaddr '08:bd:43:b0:ac:36'

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Did you keep settings moving to this version? You've got some ugly stuff going on with both ifname and device defined for wan and wan6.
Try deleting ifname from both wan and wan6 and see if that fixes it. ifname is old syntax but it is still supported, and there might be a race condition between the two.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

rockyd

Post by rockyd »

Lantis wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:03 am
Did you keep settings moving to this version? You've got some ugly stuff going on with both ifname and device defined for wan and wan6.
No but I did have to edit network to get the VLAN of 2 on the wan port, so that my isp would connect, they seem to have gotten left behind when I switched it to the mobile connection. Going by what you said earlier I presume "option ifname 'eth0.1'" would also need to be removed?
Lantis wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:03 am
Try deleting ifname from both wan and wan6 and see if that fixes it. ifname is old syntax but it is still supported, and there might be a race condition between the two.
I tried that, it didn't make any difference. The VM only still only has the fddi.. IPV6 address's.
I don't fully understand how IPV6 is supposed to work, but I suspect, with the ISP you get a range of address to delegate, and the VM gets one of them when connected, but on the mobile maybe my mobile telco (Telstra) only provides the one IPV6 address and the router gets that, and that's why the VM doesn't have a 2001.. IPV6 address. But it does when the mobile is connected directly to the VM.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yes I didn't spot eth0.1, that should go as well.

I'm not sure (I can't find any documentation) if Telstra mobile internet does prefix delegation.