TL-WR1043ND extroot Segmentation fault

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Beaker

TL-WR1043ND extroot Segmentation fault

Post by Beaker »

Hi,

I have problem with extroot on TL-WR1043ND (it is V3, flushed with files made by oviano).

Basically, I am at step one, which is going back to the standard process of mounting USB. When I try to enter the command:

Code: Select all

opkg remove plugin-gargoyle-usb-storage
I am getting error:

Code: Select all

Segmentation fault
Can you help me? The router worked perfect with Gargoyle so far.

ericwong

Re: TL-WR1043ND extroot Segmentation fault

Post by ericwong »

Due to the way the ROM is constructed, i.e. the file system used, you cannot remove any package if it is bundled inside the ROM.

So, don't bother trying to remove any packages if it was included in the ROM you installed. If you need more space on your ROM, you need to build your own ROM and only build it with the packages you need.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

Beaker

Post by Beaker »

Thank you for answer. So is that mean, that I can't make an extroot? Every guide I have found, starts with deleting this plugin (tutorials for 1043ND included), so how these people made it work?

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

Beaker wrote: So is that mean, that I can't make an extroot?
Sorry, I never make or need extroot, so I have no idea.

I believe you are trying to use your USB flash drive as the root storage drive? I only know this is a complicated process and not something for ordinary people to play, I would rather use a router with larger ROM than trying to make this work.

In practice, the uninstall probably might work but it will merely mark that package as unavailable rather than being actually deleted.

If you must uninstall that package, try gpkg, this is the replacement for opkg which is probably what is inside your ROM. Maybe opkg is not installed in your ROM, that's why it didn't work.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

Beaker

Post by Beaker »

I have tried gpkg, but I am getting the same error.

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

I think the guide you are looking at is not correct. I don't see anywhere on Openwrt's guide that you need to remove the package you are trying to.
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/extroot

In fact, it does not make sense to remove that package because that package is required for mounting USB storage.
Eric Wong