QOS Classification

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

kojow7

QOS Classification

Post by kojow7 »

My Requirements:

I am trying to figure out the correct way to set up my QOS. Currently Person 2 who plays a lot of videos is taking a lot of bandwidth away from Person 1 who is trying to type information on a remote SSH server. Here are my requirements:

Person 1:
Requires fast access to SSH for business use (likely using one of the devices listed under Person 1 below). Technically this should take very little bandwidth as it is just typing in a vim text editor on a remote machine.

Person 1:
Personal use of devices(192.168.1.110-119)

Person 2:
Personal use of devices (192.168.1.120-129)

Guest:
Non-static IP addresses (192.168.1.130-150)

My possible solution:

I am not quite sure I understand everything here, but this is what I'm thinking I should try:

Classes:

Delete all current classes (VOIP, Fast, Slow, Normal).

Add 4 classes: (SSH 55%, Person1: 20%, Person2: 20%, Guest: 5%)

I am assuming SSH will never get close to 55% so Person1 and Person2 will be increased greatly.

Rules:

Remove existing rules.

Add Port number 22 to SSH class

Add IP range 192.168.1.110-119 to Person1 class

Add IP range 192.168.1.120-129 to Person2 class

Add IP range 192.1681.130-150 to Guest class

Potential problems that I see

1. As there is some overlap between the SSH class and Person1 class will there be any issues here?

2. In the original classifications there were rules for < and > 1024KB. Is this still possible to implement for each person? Or should I be creating classes like Person1Fast, Person1Slow, Person2Fast, Person2Slow, etc to do this?

Lantis

Re: QOS Classification

Post by Lantis »

Looks like you have this pretty covered.
To address your questions.

1. Make sure the SSH rule is above the Person1 rules and the overlap will not matter.
If you reverse the order it won't work.

2. Those rules are intended to make web browsing more "snappy" and make sure that large connections (downloads/videos) shouldn't affect other traffic.
Similar to the answer to problem 1, the existing rules won't work because they will be last in the list.
However putting them first makes them almost useless as well.

It would be better to keep the original rules and make your new rules a bit more specific rather than the large umbrella style currently specified. However when you're trying to target video traffic that isn't so easy!
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.