Can I lower the ping spikes?

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

pkm

Can I lower the ping spikes?

Post by pkm »

I have managed to setup QoS for my games however for some it's not enough to bypass the high ping kicker some servers have. Without QoS my ping could go up to 1000 when the line is saturated. Gargoyle helps alot by bringing the spikes down to 300. Unfortunately however it doesn't seem to be enough to not get kicked from servers.

I feel that the acc can help me here. I have tried default ping target and atm using my ISP ping targets. The manual control ping is off, I don't know what do to with that one.

What things can I try to bring the spikes down further?

pbix
Developer

Re: Can I lower the ping spikes?

Post by pbix »

Gargoyle calculates your "ping entitlement" when in automatic mode. These can be found next to the ping time limit. In the below example these are "25/45" corresponding to min RTT and normal modes respectively.

Code: Select all

Ping time limit: 25 (ms) [25/45]
What does your screen show? Please post a screen shot of your complete download QoS screen while the high pings are happening.

The above being said, transient high pings lasting 10 seconds while not desirable are normal. But continuous pings of 300ms sound unusual.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

tals

Post by tals »

Also it would be useful to understand where you are pinging to. If it's across the world then a 300 ping would be fine.

Also pinging from your machine to the provider and from the router (not got mine in front of me but I think this is possible) to the provider to get an understanding of the latency.

The QOS screen should give an idea of how much load you are under. When I had issues (couple of years ago) it turned out that my line had degraded so I was on a 15mb connection but the line was only sustaining 1mb so acc QOS wasn't having a significant impact on this as it wasn't coming down to this speed.

So a speed test on a quiet network is also useful.

Miles
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

pkm

Post by pkm »

http://imgur.com/ZW7JRTD

With BF4 running and downloading a file in the background. Tried different ping targets, turned off the manual control ping. I'm reading many threads and really there shouldn't be spikes going this high. Everyone else seems to be fine.

Should the ping and filtered ping vary between 150-800ms when the ACC is in idle state?

tals

Post by tals »

In my view you should turn off qos and do some test pinging on a quiet network to your is, to the Google dns etc. If they are not stable you may have an issue or line fault issue

pkm

Post by pkm »

http://imgur.com/PYfQu3u

Different game with another ping target with a download in background. Gargoyle should stabilize ping but im not sure what im doing wrong.

pkm

Post by pkm »

tals wrote:In my view you should turn off qos and do some test pinging on a quiet network to your is, to the Google dns etc. If they are not stable you may have an issue or line fault issue
I done them beforehand tests were fine. Traceroutes to ISP is about 70ms and open dns is around 65ms. Keep in mind Australia is very big and from my location to the ISP 70ms is normal.

tals

Post by tals »

That ip you have put in, what is that. It should be the opendns ip from your comment

pkm

Post by pkm »

Which one? One of them i put for open dns and the other is a point i picked from a trace route to my ISP. According to the guide you should pick the one with the first significant jump, after 34ms it was 70ms so i am using the 70ms one.

pkm

Post by pkm »

I should point out that earlier today i ran a test that worked flawlessly. Loaded up a game, started a download and my ping wasnt jumping. Checked the traffic and there was full speed running through it was congested well.

Then later on it stopped working. I did not touch anything and it stops working :(

Also now my ping is dropped down to 60ms on idle. Something real weird is going on.