Client Mac shielding

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

mdcoll25

Client Mac shielding

Post by mdcoll25 »

Hi there.
When using Gargoyle , does anyone know if client MAC addresses are shielded under the 2 type of wireless configs below ?

1. Client connects wirelessly to an AP that is wirelessly connected to another AP via WDS

2. Client connects wirelessly to an AP that is configured as a wireless client-wireless bridge , and also has a virtual AP added to allow many clients to connect wirelessly to it.

My application requires that client MAC addresses are transmitted transparently.
EG , my whole wireless network connects users to a Radius Server for authentication.

Cheers for any input given.

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Client Mac shielding

Post by Eric »

This will work with the WDS bridge, but not the client bridge. The way client bridge is implemented, it's impossible to make the bridge 100% transparent (which is also true of client bridge on other firmware such as DD-WRT).

djmuk

Re: Client Mac shielding

Post by djmuk »

MDColl

You may not need mac transparency - certainly my RouterOS based hotspot looks at the IP address of the client not just the MAC address...

But as Eric says as soon as you have a wireless client involved then everything behind that will have the clients MAC address due to the way 802.11 works. The only way round that is to use WDS or a proprietary solution (eg I think engenius have a system called 'root bridge' on some of their AP / Client units that uses 4 address mode the same as WDS)

David