One Vista Client Cannot Connect to the interent

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

jFlash

One Vista Client Cannot Connect to the interent

Post by jFlash »

Hi,

Recently changed wireless router from a linksys wrt54g v8 running stock firmware to a Netgear WND3700v2 and installed the gargoyle 1.4.7 latest stable release. Interestingly enough one of the wireless Vista Laptops Home Premium with SP1 cannot connect to the internet yet the other Wireless Laptop with Vista Home premium with no service pack can connect to the internet no problem. So can the Windows 7 Desktop using a wired connection to the router and the android phone can also connect wirelessly

From the connected hosts page of gargoyle, the problem Vista appears in the list of connected hosts. the problem vista also receives its IP settings from the DHCP server of the gargoyle firmware, and appears to be logical. ip address 192.168.1.102 DNS server set to 192.168.1.1 Gateway set to 192.168.1.1.

However if I try to ping the router from the problem vista machine. I get Destination Host Unreachable. I can ping the router from the 'good' vista machine and receive reply packets.

Looked at the arp table and did not see the router's IP in the arp table. It was there on the 'good' Vista. Tried to set the routers mac address statically in the arp table but got an error 5 when using arp -s from an administrative command prompt. However I was able to set the mac address for the router using netsh.

This time when a ping was attempted to the router, it responded request timed out, instead of host destination unreachable.

At this point I suspect that there is some unusual Interaction with the problem laptop and the router. So the original LinkSys wrt54G v8 router was put back in, and sure enough the problem laptop was not a problem anymore.

I am not sure if there is a problem with the router or a problem with the vista laptop and is exposed when the router with gargoyle firmware is used. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it working on the problem Vista? actually all computers on the Home LAN

Thank you,

jFlash

DoesItMatter

Re: One Vista Client Cannot Connect to the interent

Post by DoesItMatter »

Quickest test you can perform is plug the problem vista laptop
directly into the router via lan cable and see if you get connectivity.

If you do get connectivity / internet, then you have to re-configure
your wireless adapter settings and/or update the driver software
for your wireless adapter.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

jFlash

Post by jFlash »

Thank you for the quick response,

Since the issue was introduced with the new router and gargoyle I was hoping for a resolution that would not involve the problem vista machine. For one, it is not my machine but a roommates. And would want to have as little change as possible more political reasons than technical

However, the answer did inspire me, I had a Belkin USB wireless dongle thing lying around that I never got working successfully on a WD live box, but installing it on the problem vista laptop and the laptop was able to connect to the internet.

Again thanks to 'DoesItMatter' for a speedy solution to the problem.

jFlash

rishiforum

Post by rishiforum »

Also I have the same issue with my router.