Q: Per Ip data usage monitoring

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Blacksprite

Q: Per Ip data usage monitoring

Post by Blacksprite »

Hello

I am sharing a flat with 2 other mates of mine and we are all sharing an internet connection that has a data cap. After the cap is used the ISP charges per GB used. I have been reading up on gargoyle firmware which is the only firmware that i think allows me to monitor the internet data usage from the last month, and add quotas if they want a restricted internet after that point.

I am really looking for confirmation that this is the firmware i want.

To be honest I'm reading lots but understanding less.

Also will this firmware work on the WRT54GL.
I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to the in depth networking stuff but has a basic grasp.

Thanks a lot.

BikeMike

Re: Q: Per Ip data usage monitoring

Post by BikeMike »

Last things first, yes it works great on a WRT54GL.

You could easily divide your monthly quota by 3 with a little bit left as spare, and give each household member an equal share. So long as nobody cheats the system (by changing their IP for example) it would be ideal for your situation. Best solution is to have 3 fixed IPs in DHCP, 3 fixed quotas for those, and a very small (say 1MB) quota for "all others". Turn on the option "Block MAC addresses assigned a static IP that connect from a different IP".

If anyone runs out you could manually increase their quota out of the "spare" capacity.

I'm not sure of the implications of resetting the router part way through the month when using a monthly quota, particularly doing firmware upgrades as new Gargoyle versions are quite frequent. Upgrading seems to reset all the quota usage, but just for power loss or reset I think no more than 4 hours usage will be lost. This hasn't been a problem for me as I use daily quotas only. Daily quotas might not suit you though as it doesn't allow for occasional heavy usage. A compromise is to use weekly quotas. eg. 20GB / 3 users / 4.3 weeks = 1.5GB per user per week.
Last edited by BikeMike on Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Blacksprite

Post by Blacksprite »

Thanks for the reply.

2 more questions.

Does gargoyle show the current quota used?
Can it show the current use of that IP to date if i didn't use quotas?

Thanks again.

BikeMike

Post by BikeMike »

Each user can check their own quota used on the login page without logging in. You as the administrator can check everyone's quota usage by logging in.

There is no tracking of usage if no quotas are set up. So the first month you'd need to calculate a fair share of what's left, then adjust it at the start of your new month.

From then on, no adjustment required unless someone needs extra and you want to allow it.

Blacksprite

Post by Blacksprite »

Perfect.

Thanks BikeMike. I think i will go with the gargoyle firmware.

monoufo

Post by monoufo »

In addition to setting up the quotas for everybody, set up a quota of everything combined to be what you are allowed for the month.

I only upgrade the router on the first of the month. That way, when the data is deleted, it doesn't matter so much.