Unable to install kmod-md-mod

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

vyvvyan

Unable to install kmod-md-mod

Post by vyvvyan »

Hi,

I'm trying to get mdadm to work on Gargoyle, but it requires kmod-md-raid1, which in turn requires kmod-md-mod. Using either gpkg or opkg I get the following output:

Code: Select all

root@Entertainment:~# gpkg install kmod-md-mod
ERROR: Dependency kernel (= 3.3.8-1-d6597ebf6203328d3519ea3c3371a493) of package kmod-md-mod is installed,
                but has incompatible version 3.3.8-1-6b8bf9865b836dada69c247eeaf2dc49 and is marked as 'hold'
I've figured that this is because the Gargoyle kernel is a recompile of the official OpenWRT kernel, and hence the checksums are different. Is that correct? What options do I have to get a working kmod-md-mod/kmod-md-raid1 linked into my kernel? Would I need to go to OpenWRT to get this going, or can I build my own Gargoyle custom kernel? Or is there a way I can force load these kernel modules?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

vyvvyan

Re: Unable to install kmod-md-mod

Post by vyvvyan »

Ideally, I'd like to have RAID support as a plugin of course, with a web interface giving me health status on the RAID. Wondering if that's possible. I'm rusty on my coding skills so not sure I could pull it off, but if someone has a pointer to building new plugins that would be helpful as well.

vyvvyan

Re: Unable to install kmod-md-mod

Post by vyvvyan »

So I went and downloaded the git sources and compiled my own firmware. And recompiled. And recompiled.

Somehow, the image created when I do a custom build using "make ar71xx" is different than what is provided under 1.6.1 for my TP-WDR4300. When I take the 1.6.1 firmware from gargpyle-router.com, I get USB Storage and USB Printer pre-installed, but when I custom compile I don't get these (or at least I cannot get it compiled because it barfs on usb-modeswitch-1.2.6 for which the sources are no longer available anywhere).

What I want to do is compile the same firmware as 1.6.1, but remove USB-printer support, then replace this with CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-md-mod and CONFIG_PACKAGE-kmod-md-raid1 baked in. Can someone give me some quick pointers on how to do this (or at least confirm they get the same usb-modeswitch error as I get?)?

Thanks so much in advance!