3G not working on TL-WR1043ND

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

lpacheco

3G not working on TL-WR1043ND

Post by lpacheco »

Hi,

I've installed Gargoyle in a couple of routers from TP-Link (WR3600, 741ND, 743ND) for business and domestic use, and I've found it and excellent substitute for "standard" firmware.

This week I bought a TP-Link WR1043ND for use as a 3G router with a ZTE modem, but I'm having trouble in making it work.

The router does recognize the modem, or at least I think so since it does offer 3G as a WAN interface. I select "3G preferred" and use the same 3G settings as I use for a Zoom Travel Router, but the TP-Link never connects to the 3G network. The modem keeps flashing a blue light.

Gargoyle status page does show signal for 3G, but never shows IP or any other data that could mean a successful connection.

I'm completely lost on how to debug this. Could you help me?

Regards!

ispyisail

Re: 3G not working on TL-WR1043ND

Post by ispyisail »

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd

USB 3G Modems
:!: USB 3G modem issue (insufficient power). TL-WR1043ND v1.x does NOT deliver enough power for most USB 3G modems, which can lead to erratic behavior such as droped/failed connections. If a 3G USB modem is to be used, consider other routers with a USB port that delivers enough Amperes. (e.g. Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H)

lpacheco

3G not working on TL-WR3600 either...

Post by lpacheco »

On Gargoyle 1.5, I had tried a ZTE modem with the TP-Link WR1043ND router. As pointed to me, that TP-Link model does not provide enough power to the modem, so it might fail. As far as I could get, the TP-Link would recognize the modem and allow me to configure the connection, it just never connected successfully.

Now, on Gargoyle 1.6, I'm trying a Huawei modem (E1756) with the TP-Link WR3600 router. There is no indication in the OpenWRT documentation about this router providing insufficient power, but even so Gargoyle won't show a sign of the 3G modem. I can't even configure the connection.

From the outside, the modem lights and finds the 3G network (the LED blinks blue after initially blinking green).

How can I debug this?