PPPoE/DNS bug in 1.1.1

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Maniac

PPPoE/DNS bug in 1.1.1

Post by Maniac »

I flashed my router from 1.0.8 to 1.1.1 and tried to connect via PPPoE (Asus WL-500gPv2). I was able to connect but I wasn't getting any DNS servers. I flashed back to 1.0.14 and then it was able to get the DNS servers.

I should note I Restored my settings from 1.0.8 to the 1.1.1 firmware when I tried this, I don't know if maybe that was causing the issues.

Eric
Site Admin

Re: PPPoE/DNS bug in 1.1.1

Post by Eric »

That's really strange... there are no changes in how DNS is handled between 1.0.14 and 1.1.1 -- all of the changes are in the bandwidth monitor.

I''ve tried restoring data (though not with PPPoE) across versions, and they seem to work ok. I'd be curious if you see the same issue with 1.1.0.

NL2009

Post by NL2009 »

Hi Eric

I think this may be related to an issue with the way settings are stored in 1.0.8. I had a similar problem upgrading from 1.0.8 (or 1.0.9?) to 1.0.12. I have not had this problem since 1.0.12.

I have not yet tried the 1.1.x releases, but will do so shortly.
Regards, Nigel

Maniac

Post by Maniac »

The funny thing was I tried doing a restore settings from the 1.0.8 when I upgraded to the 1.0.14 firmware and the DNS servers worked then, but the bandwidth monitor broke (I couldn't see anything and nothing happened when I clicked on the drop downs - and they were empty fields)
I reset my config and rebuilt all my settings from scratch on the 1.0.14 this time due to the bw monitor issue.

I might get up the motivation to try 1.1.1 again sometime soon but not today, I spent over an hour on this last night and I'm not too thrilled about messing with it again.

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

I don't know how detailed your setups are, but I've used just
about every version from the early 1.0 pre beta's, various test
builds (trying the AP+Client issues), etc.

I'll load build 1.1.1 when I get home from work tomorrow.

I have NEVER loaded up prior settings, always re-configured from
scratch each time. It's a pain, but I've never had anything act up
on me when doing this.

Now, that being said, I have noticed a certain issue on the
backup data file when you save the configs.

I have noticed that the config backup file is different between
different internet browsers. I think it was different with IE 8.
Firefox and Google Chrome had 1 config file, but when I did the
same procedure with Internet Explorer 8, it had a very different
config file.

Sometimes it came out xx.tar.gz, other times xx.tar.tar

I figured its much easier to just re-type all configs in from scratch.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

Maniac

Post by Maniac »

I'm using Opera as my browser and I use the following pages:
Connection:
Basic, DHCP, DDNS
Firewall:
Port Forwarding, Restrictions, QoS

I would think it should be possible to setup the config file in such a way as to make it cross-version compatible. Maybe set up some sort of sub-version number for each config option, and only load the settings if that number matches for the new and old firmware (user would have to know to review settings somehow).

Eric, one other issue I noted today, but it might just have been my internet going down:
When I woke up this morning the router listed my WAN DNS servers as being 192.168.1.1 (which is the IP of both my modem and my router - modem is in bridged mode so there is no ip conflicts, but I don't know which was being listed as the DNS server) rather than my proper DNS servers. What may have happened is that my internet went down overnight and gargoyle reconnected and somehow grabbed the wrong DNS servers while the net was still down? I had to manually Save Changes on the Connection screen to fix them.

I'll let you know if I see this again.

Maniac

Post by Maniac »

Hi Eric,
The issue with the DNS servers happened again last night. I guess I'll have to try a few different firmware versions, I'm guessing this has to do with the changes to 1.0.11/1.0.12.

Thanks,
Maniac

Maniac

Post by Maniac »

2 Things:
A. I upgraded to 1.1.1 and this time I did get DNS servers when connecting. After I tested that I restored the 1.0.14 settings and I now still have DNS servers.
B. I'll report if I don't have DNS servers again in the morning, and if I don't I'll try the 1.0.10 firmware to see if that fixes it.

Thanks

Maniac

Post by Maniac »

So I upgraded to 1.1.1 a while back and I haven't had any issues, that was very odd. I don't know what caused that.