Traffic changes mid-stream from one hostname to another

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

moeburn

Traffic changes mid-stream from one hostname to another

Post by moeburn »

Can someone explain why this is happening? I am running Transmission on my router, and I'm trying to use the BW Monitor to view it, and QoS to limit it. QoS works for the first 2 minutes of the download, and then stops working. I am able to view the bandwidth used by the router's Transmission torrent client for the first 2 minutes, then the graph just cuts off, and I can only view it under 'total bandwidth'.

Here is the total bandwidth for IP address 192.168.1.1 (there are two entries in the list for 192.168.1.1, but they both show the same graph):

And here is the router's total bandwidth:

All this was when there was absolutely no other devices even connected to the router, except for my linux laptop to view the graph, and i made sure it had no net traffic of its own.

So the traffic starts out being designated as hostname 'gargoyle', then for some reason it just disappears, won't show up under ANY hostname, and only shows up under 'total bandwidth'. Whatever is causing this issue is likely also the cause of the QoS issue; after all, QoS can't limit traffic to 192.168.1.1 if the traffic supposedly isn't going to 192.168.1.1

pbix
Developer

Re: Traffic changes mid-stream from one hostname to another

Post by pbix »

You should post screen shots of the QoS page if you are having questions about if QoS is working or not. There is no connection between the BW graphs you are showing and QoS.

QoS bandwidthi is shown in the class tables on the QoS screens.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

moeburn

Post by moeburn »

Okay, the QoS is behaving identical to the BW graphs, so I assumed the same problem was causing both, but the BW Graphs gave a more detailed view of what was happening with the QoS rules.

The BW Graphs for QoS Download rules show that for the first 2 minutes, all the download bandwidth is going to the 'slow' rule, then it suddenly changes to the 'fast' rule.

The QoS pie charts first show all bandwidth going to the "slow" rule, then it suddenly changes to the 'fast' rule.

The connection list page shows all the torrent connections to Gargoyle:51813, and some of them are listed as being in the 'slow' QoS rule, and some of them are in the 'fast' QoS rule, yet they are all Gargoyle:51813.

The QoS class screens first shows no bandwidth (0kpbs) in any rule but "slow", and then 2 or so minutes later, I see no bandwidth in any rule but "fast".

moeburn

Post by moeburn »

Okay, I got QoS working by telling it to use source/dest port 51813 instead of source/dest IP 192.168.1.1. So at least I have the torrent traffic properly limited.

I'd still like to be able to monitor it in the bandwidth graph, though. Sometimes the traffic shows up under 192.168.1.1, and sometimes it doesn't, and I have to use the Total Bandwidth graph. However, I can't always use the Total Bandwidth graph, because sometimes there are other people uploading/downloading.

On the Connections List page, all the connections show Gargoyle:51813 as the LAN host, and some random Torrent IP as the WAN host, and lots of MBytes UP (Because transmission has only been seeding, not downloading) except for this one entry:

udp Gargoyle:45267 0.000 KBytes NA
239.255.255.250:1900 10.256 MBytes NA

where Gargoyle is showing up as the WAN host, and several MBytes DOWN, and god knows what that 239.255.255.250 IP is, or what the port 1900 is for.

Could this be why I have 2 entries for 192.168.1.1 in my Hostnames section of the bw graph?

moeburn

Post by moeburn »

Well, now I am getting 200-Petabyte spikes in my bandwidth monitor graph. Oh well, I was just hoping I could use Gargoyle's bandwidth monitoring graphs to actually monitor Transmission, and see how much and when it uploaded throughout the day. I didn't realise the bandwidth monitoring system was this buggy.

It would also be nice to know why I have two entries for 192.168.1.1 in the bandwidth monitor.

moeburn

Post by moeburn »

Okay, I don't know what the flying fark happened, but now the BW Graphs are completely broken. They are covered in several hundred petabyte spikes, at all times: