Linksys wrt54gl - Tomato/Gargoyle - QoS

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

zvika

Linksys wrt54gl - Tomato/Gargoyle - QoS

Post by zvika »

Hi.

I've a few years old Linksys wrt54gl, running Tomato from the first moment, and I'm generally very happy with it.
In the last few days I started using Tomato's QoS feature, and I was a little bit dissatisfied, and started looking for replacement.

It seems that Gargoyle has more comprehensible QoS mechanism, and better logging and monitoring facilities. Is that so?

Has anyone here used Tomato on Linksys wrt54gl, and can comment on the differences between them (specific on this router, please) regarding performance, stability, etc. ?

Thanks,
Zvika

Ragnor

Re: Linksys wrt54gl - Tomato/Gargoyle - QoS

Post by Ragnor »

I have a Linksys WRT54GL running TomatoUSB (Toastman Mod) and a couple of TP link TL-WR1043ND's running Gargoyle Router 1.5.9

Specifically, what are you trying to achieve with QoS and what is the problem currently?

The Gargoyle UI for QoS combines % min and max into one page and has decent default rules so it's probably "easier" to setup right.

Tomato has two main issues right now:
1: Tomato only supports Broadcom hardware
2: The original Tomato (by Jonathan zarate) isn't actively developed anymore, the TomatoUSB Mod (By TeddyBear) isn't actively developed anymore either. The active developments are the Toastman, Vicktik and Shibby mods based off Tomato USB 1.28.

Gargoyle uses OpenWRT which seems to have lots more developers and which supports more router chipsets meaning you can get affordable hardware (eg: TP Link using Altheros chipsets) that's much newer and higher spec than the Linksys WRT54GL.

Regarding QoS:
Assuming you are using the Shibby or Toastman version of TomatoUSB on your Linksys (not the old Tomato or TomatoUSB) then the QoS systems are pretty comparable and can be configured to work very well, usually when I'm seeing a problem it's because I haven't set the rules up quite right (in either system).

Hope that helps, I would say get a cheap TP link TL-WR1043ND and try it out and see if you like it.