inaccurate quota useage

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Neo

inaccurate quota useage

Post by Neo »

hi all,

for the second month now, the IP addresses i have set up with quota restrictions, have reported inaccurate quota usage data. for example, one IP is set with a quota usage of 20 gb and has consumed half of that in one day. when i look at my ISP usage it reports 1 gb used for that day.

any ideas?

cheers
NEO

Neo

Re: inaccurate quota useage

Post by Neo »

Nobody has had this issue? its way off its off by about 10:1 5gb usage reported by the ISP equates to about 50gb usage in gargoyle, this may be a coincidence though

Neo

Post by Neo »

great support for this product!

that's why i always say freeware and open source will fail and is a waste of time. i just doesn't get supported properly.

either that, or its just 1 dweeb that knows everything, and when they get a bee in their bonnet, than its all over rover, yer on yer own. which is normally the case cos those know it all dweeby nerds are socially inept normally, because of all the time spent sitting on the pc eating crisps and smelling like sour milk and onions. :roll:

oh well back to the OEM firmware for me! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

(1) Keep in mind everyone here is a volunteer. I offer priority customer service to paying customers (those who buy a router from me), but I don't think you did. If so, I didn't see you mention this in your message and I deeply apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Otherwise... I do my best to address issues on the forum but I do have other priorities, and you need to realize this. I can't personally answer every post in the forum. But, if true, your reported issue is quite severe. So... on to your issue....

(2) I just double-checked this issue to be sure, but I couldn't replicate the problem you report. This is a fairly major issue that you're reporting, and I find it strange that (1) I can't reproduce it and (2) I haven't recieved multiple confirmations of this issue (a LOT of people use quotas, so I would expect a number of people to be up in arms over this).

One possibility is that your ISP is calibrated to a different timezone. If the time being measured by your ISP is 24hr starting at 12am UTC/GMT while Gargoyle is measuring 24hr starting at 12am Eastern time (for example), there's a 5 hour difference, and the amount used in that 5 hour window can make the difference you're seeing.

Another possiblity is that your ISP is only tracking one direction of bandwidth (upload/download) and you're tracking both with the quota. I don't know enough about your ISP/quota settings to say for sure.

Alternatively, your ISP may just be wrong (though I'm rather reluctant to say that, as institutions often, but not always catch large mismatches like this).

Here's a test you can run: Download a file of a known size (say 2MB), and see how the quota changes. If you know the file size, you can test whether it's reporting the amount of data moved correctly. If it's off, you could confirm that it's definitely a problem with the router, though as I've said I have done this and found no errors.

(3) I'm genuinely curious what OEM firmware has quotas. I've never heard of one that does.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Ok thanks Eric. I will check those things and let you know :mrgreen:

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

Eric wrote: Another possiblity is that your ISP is only tracking one direction of bandwidth (upload/download) and you're tracking both with the quota. I don't know enough about your ISP/quota settings to say for sure.

Alternatively, your ISP may just be wrong (though I'm rather reluctant to say that, as institutions often, but not always catch large mismatches like this).
For an independently check of quota accuracy, install this app on the computer doing the download and compare the data usage.
http://codebox.org.uk/pages/bitmeter2

Remember that this app will track ALL data that pass through your network card, including LAN traffic, whereas Gargoyle doesn't track LAN traffic.
Eric wrote: (3) I'm genuinely curious what OEM firmware has quotas. I've never heard of one that does.
I am interested to know if any manufacturer has ever produced routers with quota functionality too.. Please post info if yours have it.
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

Kingpin

Post by Kingpin »

Neo wrote: that's why i always say freeware and open source will fail and is a waste of time. i just doesn't get supported properly.

either that, or its just 1 dweeb that knows everything, and when they get a bee in their bonnet, than its all over rover, yer on yer own. which is normally the case cos those know it all dweeby nerds are socially inept normally, because of all the time spent sitting on the pc eating crisps and smelling like sour milk and onions.
You should try yoga and meditation. Will help you think.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Hi Eric,

I have noticed that this happens only when someone uses Skype. It uses all the quota at nearly 10 times the rate. But the ISP reports hardly any usage. The ISP only monitors download usage. I have also only set up quotas for download usage.

Thanks
Neo

ericwong

Post by ericwong »

Neo wrote:Hi Eric,

I have noticed that this happens only when someone uses Skype. It uses all the quota at nearly 10 times the rate. But the ISP reports hardly any usage. The ISP only monitors download usage. I have also only set up quotas for download usage.

Thanks
Neo
If you have found the cause, explain exactly what you did, capture the logs/usage and post the data here, so someone else can try to reproduce the problem...

Relying on ISP's log is not ideal, I have seen ISP data logging failed too many times.. use the PC based logging app too.., so you have three sets of "identical" data to compare to see where the problem is..
Eric Wong

PM me if you need to buy Gargoyle router in Australia/NZ, willing to pay me to help you on your Gargoyle configurations or build custom configured ROM with pre-installed app or try to fix your bricked router. Yes, I am looking for job/work.

jorgemiguel4

Post by jorgemiguel4 »

Neo wrote:great support for this product!

that's why i always say freeware and open source will fail and is a waste of time. i just doesn't get supported properly.

either that, or its just 1 dweeb that knows everything, and when they get a bee in their bonnet, than its all over rover, yer on yer own. which is normally the case cos those know it all dweeby nerds are socially inept normally, because of all the time spent sitting on the pc eating crisps and smelling like sour milk and onions. :roll:

oh well back to the OEM firmware for me! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think exactly the opposite. On non paid support products open source works better and the community is just awesome.

Related to your question, I bet the "problem" is ISP side(non counting upload or international traffic for example).