Reserved DCHP Addresses

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

heuristic

Reserved DCHP Addresses

Post by heuristic »

Greetings all.

Hi, my first post here, did some searching but cannot seem to find an indication of whether or not this firmware provides static or reserved DHCP addresses... I read the docs, the FAQ, but not seeing this specifically... I need to control mobile users and having them use static addressing in the conventional sense is not going to work for me (or them either)... am I missing something, is this in fact possible? Currently using Tomato, but lie the quota feature which Tomato lacks. I see that you cannot throtle overall bandwidth on a per-IP basis, like in Tomato-RAF... would be nice to combine all these into one killer load!

Any clarification or guidance, please let me know!

Your firmware looks awesome... going to give it a try! :?:

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Reserved DCHP Addresses

Post by Eric »

Under Connection/DHCP you can configure the dhcp server to associate specific (static) IP addresses with specified MAC addresses.

Actually, you can already throttle bandwidth on a per-IP basis using the QoS settings (Firewall/Qos Upload & Download). It's just that QoS is currently independent from the Quota section. I intend to eventually allow setting a specific/different service class when quotas are reached, but haven't gotten to it yet.

heuristic

Post by heuristic »

Hi Eric, nice to meet you (so to speak!). I successfully flashed this evening from Tomato over to Gargoyle... seems great so far.

From your response it is still not clear to me... in other firmwares you can specify mac addresses be allocated to specific IPs permanently via the DHCP server - so are you saying that the firmware can do this? I still get the impression one has to set the remote client's NIC to static???? Forgive me, but I've used DD-WRT, Tomato, both do this and you can actually pick them as connected clients to make the reservation... I am going to test this out for myself, please set me straight! Thanks! If it is static DHCP, then why not just call it that?

best regards and thanks again - Robin

heuristic

Post by heuristic »

Okay, so I see now that what I wanted is actually there, just the terminology was confusing me! Some linkage to the currently connected clients would be handy for assigning static dhcp allocations.

So Eric, where can one make a donation?

Thanks again, I will flash my other 3 WRT54GLs with this firmware. Well done! :mrgreen: