Access Restrictions

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

uncle john

Access Restrictions

Post by uncle john »

I can't seem to get this to work. If I add mail.google.com as a Rule Description I can't access anything.
Is this feature suppose to work in a similar way to Tomato (ie. http://www.polarcloud.com/tomatofaq#in_ ... ction_page)?

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Access Restrictions

Post by Eric »

Umm... Did you just enter mail.google.com in the rule description and hit save?

The rule description is for your reference only, i.e. the "name" of that particular rule. The default is to block everything, so if you just entered that in the rule description and hit enter it will block everything.

Go down and uncheck "block all resources", then go down to the block url section, select "block only", and specify the URL(s) you want blocked. You can match the entire URL or just the domain portion. You can specify whether the URL/domain matches exactly, whether it contains a string, or whether it matches a regular expression.

uncle john

Post by uncle john »

:oops: Thanks for your patience. I'm blown away by this feature. It is amazing.
However I notice that when you try to access a restricted URL you are simply presented with a blank page.
In the OpenDNS system they present you with a brief explanation and some paid adverts (that's how they generate income).
Gargoyle presently shows users a page that displays quota usage. Would you consider placing an brief explanatory note about Access Restrictions on this page too? Ideally this note would contain a link to a page on the web containing more detailed explanation which the admin would be responsible for maintaining manually. The quota usage page (along with the note and link I mentioned) would then automagically appear whenever a user tried to access a restricted URL.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

See my comment here.