Clarification needed on Gargoyle Home Router

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

coastalcruiser

Clarification needed on Gargoyle Home Router

Post by coastalcruiser »

THANK YOU FOR THIS forum.

Looking at the specs for the Gargoyle Home Router offered for sale on this site. Two questions:

1) The RF power is quoted at 27dB (60mw). Do they possibly mean dBm, not dB? If so, 27dBm converts to 500mw, does it not?

2) Can I utilize the features of the firmware such as usage by IP address and usage cap for my wired clients as well as my wireless clients?

(the reason for #2 is that I am thinking of connecting an existing wireless access point that my motel guests connect to.... to one of the LAN ports on the Gargoyle. I may or may not use the wireless capability on the Gargoyle unit. !! The WAP only connects clients. It does not "route" or act as DHCP server !!)

3) I lied. #3, I assume the antenna on the Gargoyle unit is detachable? Specs don't say.

thanx!

ispyisail

Re: Clarification needed on Gargoyle Home Router

Post by ispyisail »

(the reason for #2 is that I am thinking of connecting an existing wireless access point that my motel guests connect to.... to one of the LAN ports on the Gargoyle. I may or may not use the wireless capability on the Gargoyle unit. !! The WAP only connects clients. It does not "route" or act as DHCP server !!)
This is what I do to increase the range

But the trick is not all routers do "Transparent mode" so be careful

I use Ubnt bullet 2HP, I suspect you should be safe with most of the routers in the ubnt range

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I need to add to the post above,

Currently gargoyle (1.5.3) is having wifi driver problems (crashing etc) but with the method above it bypass those problems and you end up with with a real stable system with a huge range :)

coastalcruiser

Post by coastalcruiser »

But the trick is not all routers do "Transparent mode" so be careful
The unit is a Eugenius ECB3500. But our environment is all Bullets other than that, so if need be I'll switch the access point out for a bullet.

Thanx for the other info. It's very helpful to get an idea of if the config you want to try will work. I will pick up one of the Gargoyle boxes and give this deal a try.

:)