Supported routers - November 2017

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

ispyisail

Supported routers - November 2017

Post by ispyisail »

Hi all

Wiki updated
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... ed_routers

My personal recommendations (subject to change)

Atheros AR71XX - Budget
GL.iNet AR150

Marvell Armada XP/370 - Top of the line
Linksys WRT1200AC v1 (Caiman)
Linksys WRT1200AC v1 (Mamba)
Linksys WRT1200AC v2 (Cobra)
Linksys WRT1900ACS v1 (Shelby)
Linksys WRT1900ACS v2 (Shelby)
Linksys WRT3200ACM v1 (Rango)

I used to recommend the TP-Link Archer C7 but TP-link have made flashing difficult.

d3fz

Re: Supported routers - November 2017

Post by d3fz »

Another well-elaborated and really useful guide/tutorial, thanks ispyisail.

I would still recommend the Archer C7 v2 for the price and hardware, as it's really not that hard to circumvent the firmware lock, even for the not so "tech-savvy" person. There's a lot of easy guides that can be found here in the forums. Although, an "official" flash tutorial for the Archer C7 v2 would be GREAT.
Last edited by d3fz on Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

rfdude

Post by rfdude »

This is all great work and I've been using Gargoyle for years. Thank you! Wondering if there is a device in the "best supported router - No WiFi" category? This is to get the fastest possible throughput with Gargoyle functions while segregating the delivery options... GigE, distributed access points, mesh, etc.
Last edited by rfdude on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
rfdude
------------------
1.09.2 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 -> 8 OpenMesh AP's
1.10.0 Archer C7 -> Multiple Cisco 1702i Autonomous Mode

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

@rfdude

What is the main point of your post?

Gargoyle does have limitations

mgoo

Post by mgoo »

A note for a small editing session, in the Supported routers list, Netgear routers, the entries for WNDRMAC and WNDRMACv2, the numbers/values for ram and flash sizes should be swapped.

rgds

-mgoo

rfdude

Post by rfdude »

Evidently by the many comments in these forums about throughput bottlenecks due to the Gargoyle Router CPU limitations, it would appear a router only with No WiFi should be on the supported list to get the best throughput performance for money.

Coincident with delivering high throughput, a distributed approach using multiple access points would get higher RF signals to user equipment... meaning higher MCS rates to deliver said speeds. The present gamer optimized $400 MU-MIMO router works great if you are in the same room, but acts like a $100 router through a wall and a $50 router through the second wall. A high throughput user is always better off to use an Ethernet cable. Which brings us back to the router and ISP bottleneck issue.

Virtually every home router vendor is now offering distributed networking solutions (mesh, etc) allowing us to decouple 802.11ac and n from Gargoyle strengths in Quota and QoS features. What recommendation does the group have to spend that $200 on the best Gargoyle compatible CPU? MikroTik RouterBoard? Anyone else that can be supported?
rfdude
------------------
1.09.2 Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 -> 8 OpenMesh AP's
1.10.0 Archer C7 -> Multiple Cisco 1702i Autonomous Mode

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Pretty much an x86 device. There are some prebuilt hardware solutions available.
It may require a slightly customised build of the Gargoyle x86 firmware to suit, but I’m happy to accomodate.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

madmacka

Post by madmacka »

Can anyone direct me to an idiots guide to building for routers not listed? I have two yuncore cpe830's that are actively supported by openwrt. but openwrt is giving me the royal S*its trying to do quota and bandwidth management. ( i use them for guest access at my campground)

am i right to assume if its supported by openwrt, that it would be relatively easy to get gargoyle running on them?

openwrt reports the hardware as Qualcomm Atheros QCA9533 ver 2

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It's not exactly "idiots guide" (there's nothing simple about it, especially if you're going custom), but it's also not too difficult.

Start with this:
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... ake_custom
and
https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargo ... /README.md

See how far you get, and then create a new post (probably in the development section) if you need specific assistance.

For your specific device, i'd probably just start with the ar71xx/ath10k_large target and build that normally and see if your image shows up in <ar71xx-src/bin/.../...generic-cpe830-squashfs...>. It should "just work", maybe with a bit of massaging.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.