Router internet speed slow

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

josephgrab

Router internet speed slow

Post by josephgrab »

I have a Gargoyle flashed 1.9 TP-Link TL-WDR-3600. I am with Centurylink, and I am paying for 10 Mbps. When I connect my computer directly to the modem (TP-Link TD-8616), I can measure speeds over 9 Mbps. But, when I connect to the router and nothing else connected, I am only seeing 3 Mbps speeds. I used the exact same cable between the computer and the modem as between the computer and the router, and the router and modem are only about three feet apart and connected by a Cat 5 cable. I turned on the default QOS, but nothing else was connected or using bandwidth. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I don't think the gigabit router should be limiting bandwidth that much

d3fz

Re: Router internet speed slow

Post by d3fz »

That's probably because the "Total Download Bandwidth" field is set to 3200kbps in QoS (Download) default settings.

After enabling QoS, you need to manually set your QoS maximum Download/Upload link speeds. To determine the speeds correctly, i strongly suggest that you read Gargoyle's QoS documentation, section "Total Bandwidth Field".

Here's the link:
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=qos

Also, make sure you've turned on the Active Congestion Control (ACC).
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

tapper

Re: Router internet speed slow

Post by tapper »

set it to 9500
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260