Did I Brick my Router? Help!

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

germdaily

Did I Brick my Router? Help!

Post by germdaily »

I loaded Gargoyle so I could use my WRT54GL as a client on an existing wireless network. There was to be only one computer connected to it by wire.

I loaded the firmware and was able to log in. I tried to set it up in client mode and disabled the wireless. Actually I'm not sure now what exactly the settings were, but I did change the IP to 192.168.2.1. Now it doesn't work and I can't log back in.

Did I brick it?

Germ

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Did I Brick my Router? Help!

Post by Eric »

You probably didn't brick it -- you probably just set the ip to one outside your subnet. I suspect you configured it as a wireless bridge with an ip outside the subnet of your AP. That will disable dhcp so you can't even get an IP dynamically.

The solution is to set a static ip of 192.168.2.x (where x is between 2 and 254) on your pc. Then you should be able to connect to the router (192.168.2.1) without problem.

germdaily

Post by germdaily »

Hey great! That fixed my problem. Whew!

qwasty

Post by qwasty »

For reference, I seem to have had an identical problem that I posted before finding the solution in this post. I posted it here:

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... ?f=6&t=176

I also included some details, and some questions, all of which should help anyone else with the same problem, especially if some answers and helpful tips get posted in a followup.