Is QoS not meant to work perfectly?

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

pkm

Is QoS not meant to work perfectly?

Post by pkm »

Been using gargoyle for a long time now, enjoying every moment of it. But i was wondering if this is the limit of how much gargoyle can do? Games i get low ping, but when the connection is saturated it still does spike, not too bad but random spikes are never welcome anyway. Game rules are first on the list, has minimum bandwidth set so game always has a set amount available at all times. Despite this, there are still some spikes going on.

For example, if i play on a server with like 75-80 ping normally. I saturate the connection and then my ping slowly climbs to 90, then 100, then 115. Then slowly goes back down to 80. A few seconds later the same thing repeats itself. Sometimes the ping doesn't move at all which is good (which is what we really want here). Then sometimes i will occasionally spike to 200.

Same with watching twitch streams, according to their guide the high setting uses 1500kbps. I set a min of 1700 just to be on the safe side. But still, when the connection gets saturated i sometimes will get some buffering when watching.

Is this an indication that im suffering from

-slow connection? (3Mbps)
-router not good enough? (TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v2)
-incorrect rules? (not saying its unlikely, but i have spent countless hours configuring and asked numerous questions here, if the rules were incorrect i probably wont get gargoyle working at all i assume)

or

-the limits of what gargoyle can do? i understand nothing is perfect but is gargoyle itself limited to some things that it can do?

Lantis

Re: Is QoS not meant to work perfectly?

Post by Lantis »

Slow connection + limits of what gargoyle can do

With a bit more bandwidth to use I think you would see a vast improvement.
Even with my rule setup, and 18mbps, if I am playing a game at 11ms latency and I purposely saturate the connection, it will initially spike to ~80-100 before settling to about 40-50.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

pkm

Post by pkm »

Lantis wrote:Slow connection + limits of what gargoyle can do

With a bit more bandwidth to use I think you would see a vast improvement.
Even with my rule setup, and 18mbps, if I am playing a game at 11ms latency and I purposely saturate the connection, it will initially spike to ~80-100 before settling to about 40-50.
I see... thats a bummer. What about twitch then? Why isn't the minimum bandwidth not working properly? Shouldn't that mean it reserves 1700kbps for the stream no matter what?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It will only reserve the bandwidth when it is required.
Also I just tried twitch st HD and it used 3.2mbps. Are you sure your number is correct?

Further, to bring down that much data you must also send data back. So you can be saturated on your upload as well.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

pkm

Post by pkm »

Lantis wrote:It will only reserve the bandwidth when it is required.
Also I just tried twitch st HD and it used 3.2mbps. Are you sure your number is correct?
Which HD are you referring to? High is different from source (which usually is 1080p) and can confirm when i hit settings > video stats it hovers between 1300-1600kbps on the high setting.
Lantis wrote:Further, to bring down that much data you must also send data back. So you can be saturated on your upload as well.
Doesnt seem like much data tbh. The most i seen it go up to is 100kbps and i set a min of 110 as well.

greyfreak19

Post by greyfreak19 »

That explains my issues i guess i have a 4/1 mbit line and upload isnt saturated at all download is however and it sits at a solid ping but spikes up and down for a few seconds every now and then it happens to often and is really annoying i was thinking it was my line but it was in fine condition so so i guess the limits of QOS and my Line i guess anyway this can be improved or will be in the future for gargoyle i only installed a custom firmware for the QOS to fix my ping issues fixing my ping issues are number 1 priority atm so its a bummer when i still get spikes :cry:

pkm

Post by pkm »

greyfreak19 wrote:That explains my issues i guess i have a 4/1 mbit line and upload isnt saturated at all download is however and it sits at a solid ping but spikes up and down for a few seconds every now and then it happens to often and is really annoying i was thinking it was my line but it was in fine condition so so i guess the limits of QOS and my Line i guess anyway this can be improved or will be in the future for gargoyle i only installed a custom firmware for the QOS to fix my ping issues fixing my ping issues are number 1 priority atm so its a bummer when i still get spikes :cry:
Out of curiosity, what numbers have you got set for your gaming classes percent BW and min BW?

greyfreak19

Post by greyfreak19 »

2048kbps down and 512kbps up for my gaming class percent BW is 1% 1024/256kbps would have been just fine but i ahve two pc,s using that class so i increased it for 2pc's at a time

pkm

Post by pkm »

greyfreak19 wrote:2048kbps down and 512kbps up for my gaming class percent BW is 1% 1024/256kbps would have been just fine but i ahve two pc,s using that class so i increased it for 2pc's at a time
Have you tried higher than 1% BW ?

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

Have you guys tried adding a class to prioritize packets under 512 bytes in size to reduce ping/bufferbloat? See imgur link in my signature below.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.