2 independent gargoyle routers

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

spudstrawb

2 independent gargoyle routers

Post by spudstrawb »

I'm after some advice. I've been a gargoyle user for a few years now and the effort that everyone in here has put in is much appreciated. We currently have adsl connected but it is generally very slow. It goes through it's own modem/router which runs a guest wifi. Anyone is free to use it, no password reqd etc (we live on acres, so don't have to worry about anyone else pinching our broadband). Our main internet is via a 5/1 Mbps fixed wireless broadband, going through my gargoyle router (NETGEAR WNDR3700). I use gargoyle because my teenage son likes to play online games and watch youtube, and doesn't seem to consider that the rest of the family would like some internet each month also.

The point of this post is that I've just applied for NBN satellite, but plan to keep the fixed wireless broadband as well. So I'm looking at putting a 2nd gargoyle system (maybe an Archer C7 AC1750) in place, running parallel with, but independent of the existing system. With my existing gargoyle system, all devices get a fixed IP address and I then have a blacklist and a whitelist as well. With the new gargoyle system, should I run it with DHCP and exactly the same fixed IP addresses, or is this a bad idea?

Any help would be much appreciated.

ispyisail

Re: 2 independent gargoyle routers

Post by ispyisail »

As of now the C7 is a little unstable (subject to change)

yep, just set it up the same

spudstrawb

Post by spudstrawb »

Thanks ispyisail. The satellite system won't be installed for at least a month, so I've got time on my side at this stage. Are you confident that the C7 stability issues might get sorted or is there another router that people would recommend in lieu of the C7?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

spudstrawb wrote:Thanks ispyisail. The satellite system won't be installed for at least a month, so I've got time on my side at this stage. Are you confident that the C7 stability issues might get sorted or is there another router that people would recommend in lieu of the C7?
who knows?

I suspect the problems at Openwrt aren't helping

spudstrawb

Post by spudstrawb »

Okay, thanks ispyisail.

I see Lantis is running a WRT1900AC. That looks like a good option in terms of future-proofing, but it's pretty much twice the price of the Archer C7. Does anyone have any other recommendations? If not, I'll run with the WRT1900AC.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I think the archer is a good entry into the AC market.
The instability was mostly due to an uncaught change in openwrt and we didn't keep up. I think they are largely stable machines.

The wrt1900ac is an excellent piece of hardware. But the price tag comes with it.
Also it is still under constant and changing development to make it faster and more stable.
I personally don't have any problems with it, but I see plenty of people complain.
The other thing is that you only hear from the people who are unhappy with the product so it may be misrepresented?

Ultimately, either decision will be ok in my opinion. I can't recall the max speed of the NBN satellite service but if it's over about 120mbps the archer may start to struggle.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

@Lantis

+1

well said

spudstrawb

Post by spudstrawb »

Lantis wrote: I can't recall the max speed of the NBN satellite service but if it's over about 120mbps the archer may start to struggle.
It's only 25Mbps download, so not much of a challenge at all. I was thinking of future-proofing though, in case we move to somewhere that has FTTP or FTTN. Plus I'm banking on the new router having stronger wifi than older routers. I'm also considering UniFi AP's.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

For max range I use gargoyle + unifi

spudstrawb

Post by spudstrawb »

ispyisail wrote:For max range I use gargoyle + unifi
I'd read before that one of you had unifi. The only problem with me going that way is that I'll have 2 internet services, each with it's own gargoyle router. I'd have to double up on unifi AP's if I wanted to do it completely that way.

I've just had a call to tell me that the NBN satellite dish will be installed on 3rd June, rather than at the end of June. So I need to make a call now and order a router. If you guys were in my situation right now, what would you go for?