Port forwarding being lost?

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Lucky75

Port forwarding being lost?

Post by Lucky75 »

Hey,

I have a bunch of ports forwarded to my computer so that I can ssh into my computer and access a web server, but I've been having issues since I loaded the router firmware. I'll be able to tunnel in once or so, but then randomly it seems that I have no more access, and that I can't even ping my router (unless I disabled pings?). I know that it isn't down because I talked to a friend who is home right now and the internet still works.

It almost seems that this issue comes up every time I access the web admin pages or something, because it's happened twice now after I've tunneled through to access the router via the gui. Resetting the router seems to fix the issue, but I don't know what the problem could be?

Lucky75

Re: Port forwarding being lost?

Post by Lucky75 »

Of course, it's also possible that it's a dyndns issue, since I don't actually have my IP :)

I'm pretty sure that it hasn't changed though, and I'm still getting a "connection refused" when I try to ssh.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

If you get a connection refused that's definitely not an issue with dyndns. Could you please let me know: what model of router you are using 2) are you using the bleeding edge firmware or beta 4? 3) What other services are active (e.g. DMZ, UPnP, Qos)?

If you aren't using a recent bleeding edge firmware please try that, as a lot of bugs have been fixed recently.

Lucky75

Post by Lucky75 »

Hey,

When I get a "connection refused", resetting the router fixes the problem. Additionally, I set the router to allow remote access to it through SSH temporarily, and that also has the same problem. It would suggest that it's on the router end, since I can still ssh inside my lan, and I can't ssh to the router from outside. When I reboot, I am able to do everything, including tunneling directly to my router.

I'm using the latest gargoyle_bleeding_edge-brcm.trx posted on the download page (first one). My router's a WRT54GL, one of the older ones, but I can't remember which version (I can check once I get home). I have UPnP enabled, so maybe that could be causing some problems, but DMZ and QoS aren't enabled.

It almost seems to cause problems when I log into the gui and click Save. I had an issue where when I was assigning static IP's it would infinite loop at the AJAX "Saving" part and I'd have to ifconfig down/up my internet. It freezes every time while doing that for some reason, and I have no idea why?

Sorry I can't narrow it down any more, but it's only happened 3x so far, and it seems somewhat random (aside from me using the gui every time?)

FRiC

Post by FRiC »

I seem to be having a similar problem with remote ssh and http being killed. However, port forwarding still work, so I've always been able to remote login to a computer inside my LAN, then access the router through local http, and reboot it from there.

Lucky75

Post by Lucky75 »

Same error again today after looking at the GUI yesterday. I didn't really change anything either.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I've fixed the error with the DHCP page in the svn repository, though I haven't recompiled/uploaded new bleeding edge firmware yet.

The port forwarding problem sounds like a bug that's been reported on the OpenWrt forum which has been around forever and has evidently driven everyone, including the developers, crazy. So -- I wanted to let you guys know I'm working hard to fix this but it may be a really tricky bug to eliminate. I'll post any progress I make with this here.

Lucky75

Post by Lucky75 »

Hey,

It actually seems that whenever the port forwarding is broken that I can't access the Quotas.sh page much after. It seems to hang and not draw the main body frame of the page (just the top border part). Rebooting fixes the issue as well as the quota hanging issue. I'm thinking they're related, because it seems that every time I visit the quota page, it later breaks the port forwarding and I can't access the page anymore.

What was the DHCP issue? (I'll look around the forums to see if I can find it ;) )

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

The DHCP issue (static ips are in the dhcp section):
I had an issue where when I was assigning static IP's it would infinite loop at the AJAX "Saving" part and I'd have to ifconfig down/up my internet. It freezes every time while doing that for some reason, and I have no idea why?

Lucky75

Post by Lucky75 »

Haha, oh yeah :) Wicked, that'll make it much easier :) Thanks!