Repeater Bridge not routing between wireless clients and LAN

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

windowsrefund

Repeater Bridge not routing between wireless clients and LAN

Post by windowsrefund »

Hardware: TP-LINK WR1043ND v2.1
Software: Gargoyle 1.9.0

Before I continue, it's probably worth pointing out I saw this behavior on 1.8.1 which prompted me to explore the upgrade.

Here's the router config:

Device Configuration: Wireless Bridge/Repeater

Bridge IP: 192.168.2.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
AP/Gateway IP: 192.168.2.1
Wan Ethernet Port: Disabled
DNS Servers: Use Gateway as DNS Server

Connect Via Client Bridge
Repeater: Repeater Enabled
Operation Mode: G-B
Channel Width: 20MHz
Transmit Power: Max
SSID to join: abc
SSID to broadcast: xyz

Password is set to abc's key

Laptop1 is now plugged into LAN 1 on the router and the laptop is able to fetch an IP of 192.168.2.51

Laptop1 can resolve DNS, ping the gateway (192.168.2.1), and reach the Internet. All is good.

Laptop2 is configured to join the xyz wireless network. Like Laptop1, he is able to obtain a DHCP assigned IP and he can resolve DNS, ping the gateway, and reach the Internet.

The problem is that neither laptop can ping each other despite the fact they're both on the 192.168.2.0 network.

I've checked the routes and firewall configuration within Gargoyle's interface but see nothing unusual. Can someone set me straight on what my expectation should be as I'm coming from dd-wrt where this worked. I have a sneaking suspicion Gargoyle's "Repeater/Bridge" implementation may be quite different from dd-wrts and that this behavior may be considered "normal" within this community. Anxious to hear what I may be doing wrong or if I should be looking for another solution. I definitely need to be able to reach local resources.

Thanks in advance

Lantis

Re: Repeater Bridge not routing between wireless clients and

Post by Lantis »

Are you able to test the latest 1.9.x as well? There was some problems with the wireless bridge that we fixed. I don't recall if this was one of them.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

windowsrefund

Post by windowsrefund »

Yes, I am using the latest 1.9.0 image for my router which I obtained from the downloads link.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Uou need to the latest 1.9.X, from the show and tell forum.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

windowsrefund

Post by windowsrefund »

Still doesn't work using the latest 1.9.x from Feb 20. I'll probably look for another firmware at this point unless someone can help identify the exact problem here...

Thanks

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

1.6.2 is the most stable gargoyle firmware

windowsrefund

Post by windowsrefund »

so, despite the fact 1.8 is clearly listed as the most recent "stable" in the downloads section of this site, these responses still do not explain why something as basic as I've described is not working.

Going with OpenWRT for now...

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

He asked you to try 1.6.2.

You're writing on a forum where support is done by users for users.
Please keep that in mind.

Please enjoy openwrt and let us know if you require anything further.

windowsrefund

Post by windowsrefund »

Sorry but I read it again and I still don't read it as a request. It actually comes off as an inaccurate statement. In any case, the thread continues and STILL no answer or explanation as to why exactly this basic piece of functionality is missing or buggy. Seriously guys, you've got to be kidding me.

This is now working perfectly running the latest OpenWRT.

windowsrefund

Post by windowsrefund »

You guys should really issue a partial refund as I now realize I overpaid for my TL-WR1043ND v2.1

I mean, afterall, the preinstalled instance of Gargoyle didn't (and still does not) work as advertised.

Please contact me offline in order to arrange a partial refund.