UPNP ON VER 1.9.0

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

greyfreak19

UPNP ON VER 1.9.0

Post by greyfreak19 »

Hi i am fairly new here i have installed gargoyle to my router for about a month now
My Router: TP-Link WR841N V9

for the past month i was using gargoyle ver 1.8.1 but it has some bugs and issues probally a bad flash or something so i decided to update the firmware to 1.9.0 its working fine for the most part but the only thing i have missing is upnp which for me not a game breaker but nice to have because i dnt want to forward ports manually for everything skype.torrents and some games that use upnp e.t.c is there a way to enable upnp on ver 1.9.0 or i just have to either wait for the next ver to come out or move back to 1.8.1

TY for your time

tapper

Re: UPNP ON VER 1.9.0

Post by tapper »

Hi there is your router one with just 4 mb of flash?

If so then UPNP was removed to stop the build being to big and braking other things.
It's geting harder and harder to get all the feechers of Gargoyle on to just 4 mb of flash. It's not just Gargoyle as Openwrt and the linux kernel are getting bigger at the same time.

If your router is one with 8 mb of flash then i dont no what's going on as it should be there.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Your router is too small.
UPnP was removed to maintain support for your router.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

greyfreak19

Post by greyfreak19 »

My router has a 4MB flash and yes i do understand why it was removed but scence there is no way to reenable it on my router now will there be upnp supported for 4 mb flah devices in the future or tahts it cuz upnp while not a deal breaker for me i can just port forward my tiaxti and skype cuz thats pretty much it but if there will be no more 4mb support in the future for upnp nad some other features then please tell because i have total 4 devices regularly 2 pc 2 andriod devices and i dnt need a powerful router but for features like this should i keep in mind to buy a 8mb device in the future cuz ofcourse they are at a bit more price

greyfreak19

Post by greyfreak19 »

Also i mainly installed gargoyle because of its qos when my brother or sister watches youtube my pings went up quite alot and i have a slow 4mbits connection qos works and thats the main feature i installed gargoyle for monitering is a neat feature i found myself using it aswell all the other features i dnt really use also as my previous reply if i want to get a router in the near furture what are the things i should be looking at i connect my pc through wifi i have at most 4 ppl in my home avg and a 4mbits line as per that my thinking is i dnt need a powerful router but im not a expert so please tell me what are the things i sohuld look for first when buying my next router because i dnt wanna spend too much money on my router for useless features i dnt use

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

That's pretty much it for UPnP, and possibly more features in the future. Everything is only getting bigger unfortunately.

You are right that for your current usage requirements, you do not need a super expensive router.
When searching in the future, 8MB of flash space is the minimum i would recommend. If it has a USB port, 8MB is the bare minimum. Usually the USB support takes up the full 8MB of flash but you can then extend the space by plugging in a usb drive.

I'm a pretty big fan of the WNDR3800. Available very cheaply on ebay these days. It has 16MB of flash, heaps of RAM, and a USB port.

I started using Gargoyle on WNDR3800 as my first router, and was so pleased with it that i recommended it to 2 people and helped set theirs up with Gargoyle.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

kkuramoto

Post by kkuramoto »

I have a TL-WR841N v9 as well. I had problems of losing/not saving my list of static DHCP clients which makes almost useless. The root cause seems to be the lack of free space on root partition.
I am now running 1.9.0 but I didnt miss the lack of uPnP: torrents, PS4, chromecast and wireless printer seem to be working just fine.
AP+WDS: TP-Link Archer C7 Gargoyle 1.9.x
WDS client: TP-Link TL-WR841Nv9 on Gargoyle 1.9.x as per January 18th