Version 1.3.5: Wireless N

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

uncle john

Re: Version 1.3.5: Wireless N

Post by uncle john »

Tried Quotas with Shaping (QoS active) but stumbled at the first hurdle.
I describe my problem with QoS here.
Any suggestions?

Update: Thanks for the advice pbix :) (readers will find advice at the aforementioned link)

Cezary

Post by Cezary »

Eric, bug in Access Restrictions / Execptions

Firewall -> Restrictions. Uncheck "All Day", uncheck "Every Day", select "Schedule Repeats Weekly". Enter "Mon 00:30 - Thu 13:15", click "Add New Rule". Current restrictins shows new rule. But click "Edit" - "Schedule Repeats Daily" selected instead of "Schedule Repeats Weekly".

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Cezary: Fix should now be committed, thanks for pointing this out.

uncle john: Just to be clear, this fix was committed a while ago. It will be in the next release.

gogubeb

Post by gogubeb »

Hi Eric,
I have an wrt160nl and 2 question:
-gargoyle interface slow down speed download?
why i'm saying these is because with gargoyle i obtain an 60Mb/s download and with luci interface 94Mb/s download.
-and how can we increase connection limits bigger then 16384

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

gogubeb: I assume you're talking about the wireless LAN speeds. One possible difference is that right now there is no control for channel width with wireless N, and to get maximum download speeds you need to use 40Mhz instead of 20Mhz. This option has been added in the repository and will be released soon.

Another thing that I've found is that if there are a lot of other wireless networks in your area, you get degraded wireless performance. Is it possible surroundings/conditions have changed since you ran your initial test with LUCI?

One final possibility is that you the version of OpenWrt (and associated patches for ath9k) in LUCI you're using is newer or older than than the one in use with Gargoyle. The SVN snapshot of OpenWrt I'm using is from just after the 10.03.1 rc3 release. What openwrt SVN revision is in the firmware with LUCI that you tested?

What are you doing that you want connection limits bigger than 16384? That's already a lot. Any more and you may start straining the capabilities of the router.

cha

Post by cha »

Looks like no one is having the same problem?

ver 1.3.5
Got some quota setup, and made it throttle to 5KB/s up/down after 100% of quota usage. Qos up/down off.

After setting it up all web requests from the IPs specified in quota will be redirected to the router login page even when you still have quota left. DNS lookup works fine.

I can confirm throttle is the problem since it works fine when I switch to "cut off completely". So, is Qos necessary for it to work?

gogubeb

Post by gogubeb »

Hi Eric,
I'm talking about cable connection and the FW is 10.03.1 rc3 release with luci from here

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

cha: Can you send me a screenshot of your quota settings (you can either post here, or send it via PM). I want to know how you have your quotas configured so I can try to replicate (and fix) this issue as soon as possible.

gogubeb: So you're talking about connection between LAN and WAN? This will be somewhat slower on Gargoyle because of the bandwidth monitoring feature, which slows down this connection slightly. However, for most people, the speeds that are possible are well above the bandwidth capacity of their ISP, so I haven't spent too much time optimizing this.

Domino_55

Post by Domino_55 »

Hi Eric,

I have an old problem with all of the Gargoyle versions. I'm from Hungary, and here, I have 13 available wifi channels, but Gargoyle only shown 11. I think, it's needed a country choosing box, where I have set my country for country code setup.
So, please implement this feature, or please write me the solution for above, and sorry for my english. :)

Best regards from Hungary,
Domino_55

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Domino_55: I think this is just a matter of setting the country code. I'll look into implementing a control to do that.