help me buying a new router

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

WeWe

help me buying a new router

Post by WeWe »

Please recommend to me the best router I can get with 40$
That have usb port and dual antenna and can add ad block plugin on it

Lantis

Re: help me buying a new router

Post by Lantis »

That's very subjective, and you aren't going to get the best of anything for $40.
I'd recommend doubling your budget and getting the gigabit router from the gargoyle store.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

+1

tapper

Post by tapper »

+1 here to!

If you cant by it from the shop because of where you are let us no and we can point out a different router
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

WeWe

Post by WeWe »

I can't buy it form shop please recommend another dual antenna doesn't matter now

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

How about the Western Digital My Net N600 or N750? Both available new under $40 (or even $30) on eBay and Amazon. Both have USB and dual band wireless, and with 16MB flash they should be supported for years.

tapper (two posts above) has the N750 so he can probably tell you whether it's a good router or not.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

tapper

Post by tapper »

merry Xmas and the n750 is a good router all though i just use it as a bridge not as my mane AP.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

meazz1

Post by meazz1 »

Look at TP-Link WR842ND.
I have been running it as my 2nd router in downstairs living room with Gargoyle and it's rock solid. It has an USB but I have not tested it out.
It's not dual band and for that kind of money it is hard to get a new dual band router.
It's $29.99 at Micro Center.

WeWe

another question

Post by WeWe »

Is there anyway to save this one
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... f=6&t=8114
And if I added usb port to it can I install addblock on it

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yes it should be salvageable. No you can't put adblock on it it has too little memory.

If you added your own USB port you'd need to install USB drivers which won't fit. Or you'd have to do your own build which included it and I still don't think it would fit.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.