Porting Gargoyle to Voyage

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Fonel

Porting Gargoyle to Voyage

Post by Fonel »

Voyage Linux is a distribution based on Debian for use with x86 routers. Unfortunately it does not have any web-interface which should not be a problem for advanced users, but for less advanced users that are supposed to use the router after it has been installed it might be a problem. When I saw there was a similar issue with OpenWRT and that Gargoyle was meant to resolve it, I started thinking that this might be something for Voyage too. Would you consider this?

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Porting Gargoyle to Voyage

Post by Eric »

OpenWrt can already be compiled for x86. Gargoyle is fairly dependent on the features in OpenWrt (in particular UCI configuration), so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to port it to another distribution without a really, really good reason. Since OpenWrt can be compiled already for x86, I really don't see a compelling reason to spend time porting Gargoyle to Voyage over the x86 version of OpenWrt.

Fonel

Re: Porting Gargoyle to Voyage

Post by Fonel »

While I do agree to a point with your reasoning, the x86 version of OpenWRT is somewhat less optimal for use on x86, not to mention that the x86 version is more recent and less supported by packages so the only reason (other then Gargoyle of course) to use OpenWRT on a x86 based router would be if resources were limited, which they usually aren't (in regards to routers of course). Voyage Linux is based on Debian so you have access to original Debian packages (which is one of the main reasons for using Voyage) and is very lean (requires only 128M), so it is preferred for x86 based routers. Yet I do understand that you mainly wish to focus on OpenWRT and so I want to explain that my intention with this post was not to convince you to do it, but to suggest it if you ever decide to expand Gargoyle to other base systems, hope you will consider it in that situation.