Scheduled SSID name change

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

Ne3M

Scheduled SSID name change

Post by Ne3M »

The feature I would like to request is a plugin that changes your routers SSID with a schedule and switch the radio off and on for a minute or 5...

For example from 06:00 to 23:59 the SSID can be called "GargoyleRouter_Metered" and from 00:00 to 05:59 the SSID can be called "GargoyleRouter_Unmetered".

The reason for the request is as follow. In my country (South Africa) there is almost no such thing as free WiFi or affordable uncapped broadband. Instead we heavily rely on cell phone providers to supply internet to households. These providers typically give you 50GB daytime and 150GB night time data. The idea will be then in windows and android to associate the "GargoyleRouter_Unmetered" SSID can be associated with an unmetered connection so that updates and cloud syncing can happen during the night and the metered connection can apply during the day time.

There is currently a plugin for gargoyle that switches your radio on and off on schedules. I believe that this can be slightly modified to achieve my goal. I am also willing try and write my own script/plugin if someone can point me in the right direction.

Lantis

Re: Scheduled SSID name change

Post by Lantis »

i would strongly suggest starting with the Wifi-Schedule plugin and modifying it to allow an additional script to be run as well as it taking down the wifi.

The additional command you would want to run would be something along the lines of

uci set wireless.ap_g.ssid='gargoyle_metered'
uci commit wireless
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Ne3M

Post by Ne3M »

Hi,

Thank you for the help thus far.
So I found the repository...

https://www.gargoyle-router.com/gargoyl ... ule/files/

So I would very so slightly modify it... But I need to know the following info. I am a noob so please bear with me.

1. After I've modified the source code, do I need to make/build or compile it?
2. How do I upload the plugin to my router?
3. Can I force the router to not load the plugin on reboot, since I may screw things up and get it into a boot loop?!

Your help is highly appreciated!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

1. yes, do a full build.
after you've done one full build, on each subsequent change you should just be able to clear all the package files and then do a full_build=false to remake each package.

2. WinSCP the file to /tmp and then opkg install it from the command line

3. if you get stuck in a reboot loop you'll have to failsafe reset it.
i think its unlikely to happen given the modifications you are making.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.