WR1043ND V3?

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

adix

WR1043ND V3?

Post by adix »

Hi,
Just about to make my first attempt at gargoyle, and wanted the WR1043ND - but noted that TPLink has this up to V3 now, and this site has V2 only?

Anyone know about this? I would really like a clickndrool way to get to gargoyle.

nworbnhoj

Re: WR1043ND V3?

Post by nworbnhoj »

The OpenWrt site has a comment

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr1043nd

"Maybe same HW as v2.x but OEM IPv6 and guest network support"

So the v2 flash MIGHT work but I would be waiting for a little more information to surface!
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

sarmad06

Re: WR1043ND V3?

Post by sarmad06 »

Dear All,
This is my first post in Gargoyle Router forum. Just wanted to share my experience related to TP Link WR1043ND. In past, this forum has helped me a lot regarding many issues faced in open source router OS/firmwares, hence in return i wanted to give something back to the community as well.

[FYI: as per FCC documentation {officially provided by TP-Link} V3 has exact same electrical hardware as V2 & the snapshots provided show same external look as well, hence i went ahead with the following]

How I successfully flashed WR1043ND V3 firmware on V2 hardware.

[Disclaimer: This is the process i followed to achieve my goal. You yourself will be responsible in-case you end up bricking your router by following in my foot steps.]

Things that you will need:
a). TP-Link's official firmware for V3 with U-Boot included.
b). a U-Boot stripped {WITHOUT U-Boot} file for this same firmware.
c). Gargoyle 1.6.2 firmware image for WR1043ND V2.
d). Winscp.exe for scp access to router's RAM /tmp directory.
e). Putty.exe to gain SSH access to Gargoyle router.

The process that finally worked for me.
1). Flash V2 hardware with Gargoyle 1.6.2 through webpage/GUI interface.
2). Enable SSH access to Gargoyle router.
3). Use winscp to copy "U-Boot stripped" TP-Link firmware file (for V3) to ram directory i.e. /tmp
4). Use putty to SSH into router, go to /tmp directory & force flash this stripped TP-Link firmware file to router's ROM. [Hence bypassing any TP-Link firmware upgrade security checks]

[Hint: /tmp# mtd -r write firmware.bin firmware] where firmware.bin is your "U-Boot stripped" TP-Link firmware file that you copied to /tmp folder.

5). After reboot login to your TP-Link V3 firmware with default login/pass, go to firmware update page & now flash the original/complete/official TP-Link V3 firmware WITH U-Boot file.
6). After final reboot For all intents and purposes, now you have a fully working TP-Link WR1043ND V3 Router.
7). Please note as of yet the V3 firmware WILL NOT allow you to flash Gargoyle WR1043ND V2 file from its web interface. Hopefully this will be fixed once Official Gargoyle WR1043ND V3 image is released.

Work around: I used TP-Link's tftp emergency firmware recovery mode to flash this Gargoyle WR1043ND V2 image.

[Hint: Google TP-Link tftp firmware recovery & use "wr1043v3_tp_recovery.bin" as file name for Gargoyle WR1043ND V2 image]

PS: In-case you stop or get stuck after step 4), pls. do remember that at this stage you are running V3 firmware over V2's U-Boot layer, hence for the official tftp emergency firmware recovery method to work, you will have to use "wr1043v2_tp_recovery.bin" as firmware image file name instead of "wr1043v3_tp_recovery.bin"

I hope this long description helps. Good Luck.

Regards,
Sarmad
Pakistan.