Client+AP, wlan to ethernet, broke printing

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Kopachris

Client+AP, wlan to ethernet, broke printing

Post by Kopachris »

So I set up Gargoyle (whatever the latest is) on a WRT54GS v. 2. Firmware loaded just fine. I set it up in Client+AP mode with my Ubuntu desktop connected to it via ethernet. It's working as a sort of weird wireless adapter for me. The client address is set to DHCP (192.168.1.something), coming from wlan, gateway is 192.168.1.1.

Now, the internet is working just fine, but in Ubuntu's printer configuration, it refuses to let me add a printer (address of the printer is 192.168.1.101, on the main network, and yes, I can ping it just fine), saying that I'm "not connected". I presume it means that because I have only one network adapter connected, and that's ethernet, I just can't connect to a printer. :roll:

So the question is, what would be the best way to get internet and connectivity to the rest of the house out of this old router, with the primary motivation being better signal across the house from the main router? I'm open to bridging, repeating, etc. Just let me know what settings need to be set to what.

If it helps to know, I'm no stranger to command-line Linux networking through ssh. Well, I installed Arch on my old PowerBook and set it up to provide internet from the Airport card to my desktop through ethernet in a similar fashion to what my WRT54GS is supposed to be doing now, anyway.