Best way to share with neighbour in a fair way?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

morglum

Best way to share with neighbour in a fair way?

Post by morglum »

Hi!
I live in a 3-dwellings building and would like to share an internet connection with at least one of the neighbours, and eventually the other one too.

We'd like to share fairly, which means splitting monthly cap and speed equally.

We'd also like to segregate (for lack of a better word) our networks, which ( to us) means: that devices in an appartment can't see the devices in the other appartment.

We'd like to both be able to host some servers (http port 80, ftp port 21..) and have an ATA each.

Wired connection between appartments is desired for performance, but being able to also do wireless when required would be great.

Bonus point if both neighbours can access and tweak the "main" router to set up port forwarding without having to disturb the other neighbour.

Can this be done? I've already done some "repeater bridge" using ddwrt to link 2 houses, but all devices were on the same subnet. I've never had to use different subnets before.

Here is what we have in mind. Any pointer would be highly appreciated as I am really not sure what to do next.

Last edited by morglum on Wed May 20, 2015 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lantis

Re: Best way to share with neighbour in a fair way?

Post by Lantis »

I would use wired VLANs to each apartment, and each apartment uses their own wireless repeater for wireless needs.

I've never tried it, but I would guess gargoyle QoS and quotas can handle different subnets. However the usage graphs get a bit all over the place so I have read.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

morglum

Post by morglum »

Hi Lantis, thanks for the reply!

Do VLAN need to be wired, or can we do it wirelessly if needed?
Does port forwarding works the same way with 3 VLAN than if we only had 1 subnet?
thanks!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

a quick google says you can. i'd be worried about stability producing 3 SSIDs, but i guess why not lol.

i assume so with the port forwarding.

you should be aware that what you are trying to do isn't a typical setup and that while openwrt (the base of Gargoyle) supports what you are trying to do, Gargoyle's GUI does not. You're in the deep end, essentially.
As a result of this some questions may be better directed towards the openwrt forums. BUT everyone here is friendly and will try to provide help where they can :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

To accomplish all this requires four routers. One main one connected to your ISP and running Gargoyle. That one wired to sub-routers in each of your apartments. QoS on the main Gargoyel router to handle the quotas and QoS data passing to the sub routers. The main router would have its Wifi disabled. Each of you could access the main router and do the port forwarding you want.

The sub-routers would have Wifi enabled, handle the all the devices in your own apartments and keep you out of each others business. Of course we recommend Gargoyle on these as well but to each his own.

I think this is what you show in your picture attached to your original post but that is cut off on my screen so I cannot see it all.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

morglum

Post by morglum »

thanks pbix for the quick reply.

I was planning on using a router per appartment to multiply ports and access points, but I thought I could simply use them as switches (with DHCP off) and let the main router assign IPs based on the VLAN/appartment? Is that the way you would proceed?

cheers!

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

You need routers all for this. Gargoyle does not support VLANs and you do not need them.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

morglum

Post by morglum »

If all routers have a DHCP server (192.168.1.x for first appartment, 192.168.2.x for second.. etc..) , does that mean I will have to do some double NATting?

thanks again!

morglum

Post by morglum »

pbix wrote:You need routers all for this. Gargoyle does not support VLANs and you do not need them.
Alright, I think I understand.

Cable modem connects to MAIN ROUTER.

Master router:
WAN IP: given by ISP
LAN IP: 192.168.0.1
DHCP server on, 192.168.0.X
LAN port1 connected to client router 1's WAN port
LAN port2 connected to client router 2's WAN port
LAN port3 connected to client router 3's WAN port

Client Router #1 (appartment #1)
WAN IP: 192.168.0.11
LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
DHCP server on, 192.168.1.X

Client Router #2 (appartment #2)
WAN IP: 192.168.0.22
LAN IP: 192.168.2.1
DHCP server on, 192.168.2.X

Client Router #3 (appartment #3)
WAN IP: 192.168.0.33
LAN IP: 192.168.3.1
DHCP server on, 192.168.3.X

--------------
Master router will run Gargoyle and simply make sure than addresses 192.168.0.11, 192.168.0.22 and 192.168.0.33 never exceed a third of our bandwidth cap.

Client routers will do their thing. Devices of each client routers will be able to connect to the master router and it's attached devices, but not to the devices behind the other client routers,

If we want to forward port 80 to device 192.168.3.100 behind client router 3, then we have to port forward 80 to 192.168.0.33 on the master router and port forward 80 to 192.168.3.100 on the client router #3.

Is that it?

That would be much simpler than I feared!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yea that's the way to do it.
My idea was to try and avoid you buying additional routers. But then I had you buying wireless access points.
If you're going to buy those you might as well go routers lol.

I tend to over complicate solutions.

Stick with Pbix's idea :)