Lost with QOS!

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Interwebs

Lost with QOS!

Post by Interwebs »

Hi all

I have installed Gargoyle on my Netgear WNDR3800. All is going well except for my inability to understand how to setup QOS. I only want to achieve one objective but I am unsure how to go about it.

I want my game console to always be prioritised and therefore receive the maximum download/upload at the expense of all other devices on the network. The console is only used for streaming media (Netflix, Hulu, etc.), therefore ping time is not important, just throughput speed.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

nworbnhoj

Re: Lost with QOS!

Post by nworbnhoj »

see http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... eforgamers

or if you are just worried about thru-put then assigne the static IP of the consol to the VoIP QoS group (and enable QoS)
Last edited by nworbnhoj on Fri May 01, 2015 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

this is a pretty simple setup.

why dont you tell me what you think your settings should be, and we'll go from there. :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Interwebs

Post by Interwebs »

Lantis wrote:this is a pretty simple setup.

why dont you tell me what you think your settings should be, and we'll go from there. :)
Would the following class work?

Percent Bandwidth at Capacity: 100%
Bandwidth Minimum: 600 kbit/s
Bandwidth Maximum: No maximum
Minimize Round Trip Times (RTT): Optimize WAN Utilization

Note: My maximum download speed (on a good day) is around 500 kbit/s. I just figured that setting the bandwidth maximum to a value higher than my connection could ever possibly provide would ensure I receive the highest possible throughput. I am no doubt completely wrong, lol.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Looks good to me mate. :)

However you need a class for everyone else too.
So change that % bandwidth to 99, and make a new one with 1%. No need to change any other settings.

Got an idea for your classification rule?
Your classification rule will be super simple, but keep an eye on "default class" to make sure everyone else ends up where you want them :)

Good job mate.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Interwebs

Post by Interwebs »

Okay, so this is what I ended up doing:

The 192.168.1.6 IP address refers to the game console.

I couldn't see any reason to create a rule for all other devices as I assume they will just fall back to the 'Remainder' Default Service Class that I created.

I set the Total Download Bandwidth to 5010 kbits/s as after doing a couple of speed tests I am receiving download speeds between 4.9 and 5.01 Mbps.

Interwebs

Post by Interwebs »

After enabling QOS using the above settings my speed tests are slower :( I've gone from around 5.0 Mbps to 4.3 Mbps. If I disable QOS the speed goes back up again. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

EDIT: It seems that setting the Total Download Bandwidth to 5870kbits/s (the current sync speed as reported by my modem) fixed the problem. I have also increased the game console (Netflix) minimum bandwidth to 6000kbits/s.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

QoS is a pay to win kind of system. You sacrifice a small amount of bandwidth for it to operate. Your speed loss makes sense.

QoS will not operate correctly if you set your download speed above what it actually is. Setting it to what the modem states is the right thing to do.

Interwebs

Post by Interwebs »

Thanks. Is setting the Netflix minimum bandwidth to a value greater than the total download bandwidth value a bad idea or will it make no difference?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

i'm actually not sure about that one. ive never tried it. PBix is pretty active on these forums and he knows QoS inside and out. He may have some insight.