Speed Decrese by more than 50% (Setting Screenshots)

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

DjSingh

Speed Decrese by more than 50% (Setting Screenshots)

Post by DjSingh »

Hi Guys,

First of all, i'm really thankful to the creators of this firmware and equally amount of thankful to the people who are helping people like me here.

Thanks for taking your time to help me. and read my extremely Length POST.. just trying to explain everything.

2 days ago ! bought a TP-LINK WDR3600 v1.5 router
and flashed with the Gargoyle.

I was using the MODEM plus Router from my ISP.

The reason I switched now is I have a new room-mate who have a wireless PC, PHONE and XBOX..(all wireless)

I already have PC and wdtv box (wired)... MY PC is the main pc .. streaming HD movies to the wdtv box and Music to the whole network.
and have 2 gaming consoles and 4 cellphone (all wireless)
I don't do online gaming or youtubing or streaming Netflix or anything on any device.
but my new room-mate does everything.

I checked all the wiki, examples and read like 10 pages of forums..
but don't know what i'm doing Wrong.

if I connect my modem directly .. speedtest shows my speed as 198 Mbps. download and 16 Mbps upload I get the speed about 23 MBPS when downloading something.

OK so I setup the router and only connected my PC and speedtest shows almost the same result ..195Mbps Plus.

what I want is my wired PC to have the priority that whenever i'm doing anything on my pc I get the max speed doesn't matter if I'm streaming, browsing, gaming or Torrenting.

This is how I setup the QOS.
as soon as I setup the QOS my speed goes extremely down... speedtest shows 50 Mbps.

and when others are using even the internet and if even if I disabled the QOS I don't get more than 70Mbps.

Screenshots are provided of DOWNLOAD PAGE.
Currently i'm on 1.6.2 ( stable ) and have also tried 1.7.1 experimental
also I've tried so many combinations
for example screenshots shows all the ip addresses from 1 to 15 (because only 15 ip address allowed)

have tried the one are currently assigned( not using all 15 at this moment)
have also tried adding two more rules by using the 80 and 443 ports for my ip address.

All the ip address have been statically assigned using MAC Address.
there's a tiny mistake in the screenshot but i changed the setting in paint to show what i was using
Attachments
DSetting.jpg
DSetting.jpg (223.61 KiB) Viewed 5160 times

encro

Re: Speed Decrese by more than 50% (Setting Screenshots)

Post by encro »

Ok,
First up: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=qos
(Read this document thoroughly, it will help to grasp the concept of QoS in Gargoyle)
I know it's quite difficult to comprehend at the start (I think I finally understand it enough to help rewrite portions of it to make it easier to understand going forward) but persevere.

Let me try to understand what is happening.

You have your MainPC, you want that to be the priority.
Everything else including your room-mates activity is to go into the ALL group?

Assuming the answer to the previous question is Yes.
Assuming your download bandwidth is 198000 kbps
Assuming your upload bandwidth is 16000 kbps
Confirm via http://speedtest.net/

Does your roommate have his equipment all setup as DHCP?
If this is the case, you have set the default service class to mainPC when it actually should be ALL.
This means if any one of the Match Criteria doesn't match the rule (like DHCP or IP's 192.168.1.116 and above then it will place it into the Default Service Class which was mainPC consequently cutting your bandwith to mainPC.

Here is what I think you should do:

-DOWNLOAD QoS SETTINGS-
*Match Criteria Rules*
Have just a single match criteria for the destination 192.168.1.100 rule.
Remove the Match Criteria's on all the others (192.168.1.101-192.168.1.115) because they all use the ALL classification.

*Default Service Class*
Set your Default Service Class to ALL (Since anything that doesn't match the rules at the top should automatically fall into this category.

*QOS Download Service Classes*
mainPC - PercentBW: 1% - Min: 185000 - Max: nolimit
ALL - PercentBW: 99% - Min: zero - Max: nolimit

*Total Download Bandwidth*
Total Download Bandwidth:

Active Congestion Control: ON

-UPLOAD QoS SETTINGS-
*Match Criteria Rules*
Have just a single match criteria for the source 192.168.1.100 rule.
Remove the Match Criteria's on all the others (192.168.1.101-192.168.1.115) because they all use the ALL classification.

*Default Service Class*
Set your Default Service Class to ALL (Since anything that doesn't match the rules at the top should automatically fall into this category.

*QOS Upload Service Classes*
mainPC - PercentBW: 1% - Min: 11000 - Max: nolimit
ALL - PercentBW: 99% - Min: zero - Max: nolimit

*Total Upload Bandwidth*
Total Upload Bandwidth:
(Congestion Headroom: 16000 - 5% = 800 kbps | 16000 - 800 = 15200))

---

Why would I want to set 1% of the bandwidth for my mainPC?
You aren't actually doing this because the Min: value actually overides this.

When your Wired Computer is turned on the Computer's IP rule at the top is matched and the Class mainPC becomes active.
This reserves a minimum of 185000 for you to download at and the other 13000 (of 198000 total) is shared between all devices.

Similarly the Upload QoS rules reserve 11000 for your uploads and the other 4200 is shared between all devices.

If the computer isn't turned on then the reserve is freed up and made available and split equally between all devices in the ALL class. You would only set the Max: value if you wanted to specifically limit that QoS Class to no more than that amount at all times.

I'm sure you have a million questions but this is a good starting point and you can tweak as necessary.
Simplify it as much as possible and think about what you are trying to achieve.
Is it just reserving bandwidth for your PC?
Are you trying to limit the speed of your housemate?
Do you want every other device to have equal access to the bandwidth when it's not in use by your PC?

Cheers.
Last edited by encro on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Netgear WNDR3700v4 (N600) - Gargoyle 1.14.x
D-Link DIR-835 - Gargoyle 1.7.1 (Deceased)
Manual set up for PIA's OpenVPN in (Private Internet Access): https://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9129&p=45410#p45410

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

I agree with the previous response that you vastly simplify your setup. You only need one rule to direct all your PC's traffic into your class, all other rules should be deleted. Then the default is set to ALL and everything else falls into the default.

Next you need to understand that you router has a limited capability to pass traffic. This depends on the design of its hardware. Nothing you do will make sense if you try and push your router beyond its capability.

To find its capability you should enable QoS on both upload and download setting the link speeds higher than what you hope to measure. Then see what throughput you can achieve with only your computer connected via wired connection. You will need to cap your download bandwidth below this number, I would suggest 20% below this number. If you ware not happy with the number you achieve you need to get a faster router.

Based on the numbers you are talking about I think you will not be able to achieve them with that router.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

DjSingh

Post by DjSingh »

Thanks for both the reply guys..
i'm going to test it out ...
but like the 2nd reply was talking about fastest router.

Which router would you recommend ?

encro

Post by encro »

Your router is comparable to mine in specification but in contrast my download speed is only about 11000 Kbps for the download speed. To me the specifications are already very good.

pbix may need to clarify what he was referring to speed wise.
It may be that he is discussing the limitations of trying to get a router to download at 198 Mbps which is likely going to require a very high powered router (assuming this is actually your actual download speed).

Barrier Breaker (from my understanding) has a bug in it that causes Gargoyle to not be able to achieve full throughput at faster speeds due to bwmon issue. Bandwidth monitoring is a large part of the Gargoyle User Experience so it is with reluctance people want to disable it but it might be something to do if you find configuring QoS correctly isn't giving you the results you are expecting. This is getting a bit sidetracked and not something you should worry about at the moment and is fixed in newer branches of OpenWRT. Get your QoS working correctly first and post some new screenshots :)
Netgear WNDR3700v4 (N600) - Gargoyle 1.14.x
D-Link DIR-835 - Gargoyle 1.7.1 (Deceased)
Manual set up for PIA's OpenVPN in (Private Internet Access): https://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9129&p=45410#p45410

XmaD

Post by XmaD »

Hi Guys,

maybe I'm wrong but this results seems to exclude the wan-lan throughtput as a bottleneck.

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/3423/5/ ... ults-wired

cheers.