Need Help with PS4 Rules

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

CarpeNoctem

Need Help with PS4 Rules

Post by CarpeNoctem »

Hello everyone. I've been using Gargoyle for a little over a month and I gotta say, I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm running 1.7.1 on a WDR 3600:

That being said, I think I've hit a brick wall with my QoS Up/Down rules, and I'd appreciate any pointers you guys might offer me.

I have a PS4 (named TOYMACHINE) which I've set up with a Static IP of 192.168.0.110. I'm aware the amount of bandwidth needed for online gaming is not that much so I went ahead and measured my Download and Upload and proceeded to create a Normal Class with WAN Optimization and 99% BW, and a PS4 with 1% BW, MinRTT and Minimum BW of 768 Kbps, as the image shows:

Now, in the Upload section, I also created a Normal class with 99% assigned BW and a PS4 Class with 1% and a Minimum BW of 512 Kbps. Screenshot below:

Having done that, this is where I'm running into issues. At first, I just created rules with Source and Destination IPs based on the common PS4 ports but when checking the Connection LIst, all I saw were requests from my console going into the Normal class instead of the PS4 class, both in Upload and Download.

So I settled for the following rules:

Upload:

Download:

I have my ACC set up like so:

As I write this post, I fired up my PS4 and began to play Call of Duty to test my connections. Here's the result:

As you can see, connections that meet the requirements set in the Rules, still go to the Normal class instead of the PS4 one.

I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong, or, even better, if there's a more optimal way of making my PS4 connection a bit smoother while using the full advantage of QoS.

Thanks in advance for an amazing piece of software.

Lantis

Re: Need Help with PS4 Rules

Post by Lantis »

good post. excellent example of how to ask for help :)

my suggestion would be to move your PS4 rules up above the maximum packet length rule. just a hunch. do you mind giving that a go and reporting back?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

CarpeNoctem

Post by CarpeNoctem »

Lantis wrote:good post. excellent example of how to ask for help :)

my suggestion would be to move your PS4 rules up above the maximum packet length rule. just a hunch. do you mind giving that a go and reporting back?
I'll do that and report bsck in a few hours. Thanks for the kind reply.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

I agree, You should start by deleting your maximum packet length rule. Then once everything is working add it back at the end if needed.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

CarpeNoctem

Post by CarpeNoctem »

Lantis wrote:good post. excellent example of how to ask for help :)

Well, that did the trick actually. Here's the capture with updated results:

See, this is why i love this place. Thanks Lantis and Pbix.

While I got your attention, are there any other rules I could add to optimize my ping even further?

Thank you again for being awesome.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Brilliant glad it's sorted.

It's hard to say without knowing the nuances of your network.
You could create specific rules for specific games on the ps4. For example. COD may need low ping (MINRTT) but another game it may not be so crucial.
You'd have to match based on port or something, and of course these rules would have to come before the General ps4 rule as they are considered in order.

An example from my own network, all torrent traffic is put in the slow class no matter where it's going.
My net streaming box requires a minimum bandwidth but not a minimum ping so it has its own rules and class to cover that.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

encro

Post by encro »

I had a similar setup to yours originally with QoS Port Rules etc but found it to be a pain to manage.

My main issue is my girlfriend loves to stream video (all the time) and it affected the ping heavily for Realtime Games.

I ended up simplifying it to just 2 Classes:
Normal (99%) and Gaming (1% MinRTT Ping, Min 2304 Kbps).
Setting the default class to Normal.
Setting only a Single Rule to set QoS Gaming based on the PS4 IP.

Exactly the same for Upload as well with Min 768 Kbps on the Gaming Class changed.

Seems to work just as well and not as complicated anymore.

My non-standard ping is the bng from my ISP obtained using traceroute.
Netgear WNDR3700v4 (N600) - Gargoyle 1.14.x
D-Link DIR-835 - Gargoyle 1.7.1 (Deceased)
Manual set up for PIA's OpenVPN in (Private Internet Access): https://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9129&p=45410#p45410

CarpeNoctem

Post by CarpeNoctem »

encro wrote:I had a similar setup to yours originally with QoS Port Rules etc but found it to be a pain to manage.

My main issue is my girlfriend loves to stream video (all the time) and it affected the ping heavily for Realtime Games.

I ended up simplifying it to just 2 Classes:
Normal (99%) and Gaming (1% MinRTT Ping, Min 2304 Kbps).
Setting the default class to Normal.
Setting only a Single Rule to set QoS Gaming based on the PS4 IP.

Exactly the same for Upload as well with Min 768 Kbps on the Gaming Class changed.

Seems to work just as well and not as complicated anymore.

My non-standard ping is the bng from my ISP obtained using traceroute.
I agree, at the end of the day, if you don't have a lot of competing devices, less is more.

I wish I could find commands or extra optimization tweaks to get the lowest Ping possible when Gaming, but so far, I'm satisfied.