There must be a better way

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

AlecR

There must be a better way

Post by AlecR »

There seems to be no way in Gargoyle to make QoS rules just for streaming, if the computer the streaming is done on is also used for other things.

You can create rules to "catch" lots of data being downloaded on a client but there is no way to differentiate between that and streaming, if that is happening on one PC.

Volaris

Re: There must be a better way

Post by Volaris »

With many video streaming sites using HTTPS, it's difficult to catch it.

I'm not sure what your goal is - but I suppose you could treat it like downloads (ie. any download over X MB, then assigning minimum or maximum bandwidth depending on what your goal is)... but even that could be difficult with multiple computers on the network.

Honestly I gave up and got rid of all my QoS rules except one to catch all traffic. This enables IP sharing so everyone gets fair network access. (ie. I have a 5.5Mbps connection. If 3 of us are watching video in the house, everyone gets 1.8Mbps. Ever since I did that all streaming issues that everyone complained about went away.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

GargoyleNoob

Re: There must be a better way

Post by GargoyleNoob »

Volaris wrote:With many video streaming sites using HTTPS, it's difficult to catch it.

I'm not sure what your goal is - but I suppose you could treat it like downloads (ie. any download over X MB, then assigning minimum or maximum bandwidth depending on what your goal is)... but even that could be difficult with multiple computers on the network.

Honestly I gave up and got rid of all my QoS rules except one to catch all traffic. This enables IP sharing so everyone gets fair network access. (ie. I have a 5.5Mbps connection. If 3 of us are watching video in the house, everyone gets 1.8Mbps. Ever since I did that all streaming issues that everyone complained about went away.
You mind posting a screenshot of how you've set that up?