Gargoyle Routers For Sale

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Gargoyle Routers For Sale

Post by Eric »

As of today, routers pre-loaded with Gargoyle firmware are available for sale on this site. The "Donate" link on the left hand site has been replaced with a link to the new Gargoyle Store.

First, I want to assure everyone that this in no way changes the fact that Gargoyle is free and open source -- availability of compiled firmware and source code will remain exactly as they are. What is for sale is the service of firmware pre-installation and the physical hardware. The software will remain free, as always.

Currently, the only router for sale is the atheros-based MR3201A, which is being sold as a "Gargoyle Pocket Router", due to its small size. The good news is that this is a cheap ($37.50) router with 32MB of RAM, making it capable of handling some of Gargoyle's more memory-intensive features such as QoS. The downside is that this router only has one ethernet port. This model is almost identical to the original La Fonera 2200, only with more memory.

These routers function great as wireless APs or repeaters. For example, my wonderful girlfriend, Lena, has been using one of these as a wireless bridge for the past two months. This allows her to connect the PC in her room to a wireless access point several rooms away without running an ethernet cable through the middle of the apartment.

I've also added a guide to the wiki for configuring a router with only one ethernet port, such as this one.

For now, I am only shipping to the U.S. However, if you are outside the U.S. and would be interested in purchasing one of these routers please contact me. I intend to eventually ship to countries outside the U.S and it would help to know where there is greatest demand for this.

Finally, I realize many of you would be interested in other router models, especially those with more than one ethernet port. I fully intend to expand the store in the future, but first want to guage the demand for routers with Gargoyle pre-installed. I am looking forward to hearing all of the feedback I get related to this. If you have a suggestion or if there is a specific router model you would like to see me add, please let me know.

analogue

Re: Gargoyle Routers For Sale

Post by analogue »

Very good news ! But as you said, one eth port is missing. I'll wait for the 2nd port and order one ;)

nice

Post by nice »

Awesome. I am looking forward to the continued success of such a great project. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Is the antenna detachable?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Yes. The antenna is exactly like the ones you find on the La Foneras, which can be detached.

mbg19

Post by mbg19 »

Wow what a great pricing! is there any other information on it? like possibility to add a TTL to serial...this would be a great little machine to work with

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

The boards are almost identical to those in the original La Foneras, except with a little bit more RAM (32MB intead of 16). If you remove the cover (best way is to pry it up is with a flathead screw driver, which you should be warned, will break two plastic connectors holding it on from the inside), you'll find a 10 pin serial connector.

mbg19

Post by mbg19 »

Ahh..thanks for the information, im looking forward to be using these routers for various uses

jdmulloy

Post by jdmulloy »

I'm running Gargyole on my two WRT54GLs and I love it. I'm looking to get a couple of these to use as repeaters. My concern is that the antenna looks a little bit small in the pictures. Has anyone had any experience using one of these as a repeater? How good is the range?

Thanks

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

It looks to be the standard RP-SMA connector on the router.

Probably a 2dbi antenna, which is the default with most routers.

Depending where you live, I just bought 6 antenna's off e-bay.

They had a buy 5 - get 1 free special for 7dbi RP-SMA rubber ducks.

So, I got 6 of them for $30 shipped, coming from Florida - not bad!

Once you replace the antenna, I'm sure you'd get a lot of range!
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400