Wrong addresses assigned after reboot (sometimes)

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Andy

Wrong addresses assigned after reboot (sometimes)

Post by Andy »

Hi,

I have a TL-WDR3600 on Gargoyle 1.6.2 and I'm using address reservation. I'm running into a problem where sometimes when I reboot the router, the wrong IP is assigned to each client and I cannot access the internet or the web configuration. I have to reboot the router physically one or more times to get it to work properly.

For example, I have a bunch of static IPs set in the DHCP page. If 192.168.1.100 is assigned to a specific MAC address, when this problem occurs it will assign something like 192.168.0.80 instead (my LAN is on 192.168.1.1), and other clients will be assigned something in that range as well.

Any one know why this happens? For what it's worth, I have an extender on my network but I don't know if that's the problem or not.

Thanks.

Ulric

Re: Wrong addresses assigned after reboot (sometimes)

Post by Ulric »

I had a similar problem, I ended up giving up on assigned static IPs. On most small networks, dnsmasq will give the same IP to a client, even after reboots. It does this by using a hashing algorithm on the MAC address, as long as there are no hash collisions (and they are fairly unlikely to happen on any network with fewer than ~100 clients), the IP address will never change. My laptop gets the same IP address every single time. However, if static IPs is critical to you, gargoyle 1.6.1 works just fine with them (you'll just have to manually clean /etc/hosts whenever you change/remove hosts from the list).
-Ulric
Router: Nighthawk X6 (OpenWRT 15.05.1), 15M/1M (Time Warner Cable)