Anything Gargoyle can do, OpenWRT can do too?

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

utopian201

Anything Gargoyle can do, OpenWRT can do too?

Post by utopian201 »

Hi
I've been searching for a firmware which allows data quotas per IP, which this firmware does.
But as Gargoyle is a front end for OpenWRT, I'm guessing anything Gargoyle is capable of, OpenWRT is also capable of too?

Is it easy to get set up per-user data quotas in OpenWRT? I'm guessing the per-user data quota is not a feature unique to Gargoyle, but simply existing functionality in OpenWRT. However the closest functionality I see in OpenWRT is by using hotspot software eg chillispot.

The reason I ask is because a router I'm looking at getting supports OpenWRT, which means I should also be able to get the same functionality as Gargoyle (but perhaps with a bit more work!)

Also as Gargoyle is a front end for OpenWRT, does that mean any router that supports OpenWRT, also supports Gargoyle?

Thanks.

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Anything Gargoyle can do, OpenWRT can do too?

Post by Eric »

Gargoyle is built on top of OpenWrt (for now just the 8.09 branch -- I'm working on Backfire compatibility now). That means anything OpenWrt 8.09 can do so can Gargoyle. However, there aren't default firmware images for a lot of platforms so you would have to do a custom build for those. There's also a lot of functionality that can be configured on the command line, but is not configurable via the Gargoyle GUI.

However, Gargoyle also adds a lot of functionality on top of OpenWrt, e.g. the quota system. The quota system is not found in OpenWrt -- it relies on a custom Iptables module.

Gargoyle is currently mostly focused on broadcom and older atheros platforms (e.g. 23xx/53xx), but more platforms may be added when the OpenWrt version is updated to the new Backfire release.