Setting DNS for gargoyle?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

rattboi

Setting DNS for gargoyle?

Post by rattboi »

I'm not exactly sure what to call this. I'm setting up a router for a bunkhouse where everyone has unencrypted wireless, but with quotas. I want to explain to everyone that they can check their quota use by going to to the router IP address, but if I could use a word instead of the actual IP, I think they would have an easier time.

So basically, is there an easy way to make :

http://192.168.1.1

into

http://checkmyquota/

?

Thanks for your help. So far the firmware is working great.

DoesItMatter

Re: Setting DNS for gargoyle?

Post by DoesItMatter »

I am pretty sure Gargoyle itself can't do this.

Maybe you could find some OpenWRT addon package to do your
own DNS resolving, otherwise you'd have to setup some type of
DNS resolver service on one of your own computers and put that
IP in the DNS list on the router.

I doubt you want to go into all that effort.

I would just make everyone put that

http://192.168.1.1/

Into their browser and bookmark it as 'Quota Information'
or something easy that they can find.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

fra&co

Post by fra&co »

Code: Select all

echo "192.168.1.1 router.gargoyle.com" >> /etc/hosts

rattboi

Post by rattboi »

Great! I had everything ready and swapped the router in, but I'm having some other issues with it. I'm running Gargoyle on a WRT54GL that was originally running Tomato 1.27. That always worked really solidly, but didn't have the quota stuff I'm needing.

After the swap-in from another WRT54GL running Tomato, I noticed that it initialized using 93% of available ram. I was a bit worried about this, since I'm using dyndns, per-person daily quotas, QoS, and a bit of access restriction.

It was working for a few hours, but when I tried logging in remotely from my dyndns address, it wouldn't connect. I went to the bunkhouse and tried logging in locally, but that didn't work either. I was able to get an IP address, and websites were still resolving, so most of the router functionality was still working. Also, I was able to SSH into it. I just couldn't pull up the router config page.

I tried rebooting it, but then I had problems with the router getting a connection from our PPPoE modem. I have the correct login/pass, and I'm cloning the MAC of the old router for identification, just in case. It just won't connect, even after waiting 5 minutes. I swapped back to the Tomato router, and it connected instantly.

I'm not sure what to make of the PPPoE issue, but I'm willing to buy upgraded hardware if part of the stability issue is the low RAM. Any insights as to what my problems could be from? Should I upload my configuration or something?

EDIT: I should have put this in Troubleshooting. Should I create a new topic or can someone move this?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

The 93% RAM usage is normal for your device, but at the same time may be at the root of your problems.

WRT54GLs only have 16MB of RAM, which really isn't a lot, especially given how many features you've enabled. QoS in particular can be a real memory hog. Try disabling QoS, and see if that helps.