Questions from a newbie

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Hairy Scot

Questions from a newbie

Post by Hairy Scot »

I am completely new to Gargoyle so please forgive me if my questions seem a bit dense. :?

Can Gargoyle provide the following function:-
If there is only one LAN user then that user can use the full capacity of the internet connection, but if there is more than one then the capacity will be managed so that no single user can hog the connection and each user gets a fair share of the available capacity.
The TP-Link WR1043ND is on the list of supported devices, what are the chances of the firmware working with the TP-Link WR1042ND.

BashfulBladder

Re: Questions from a newbie

Post by BashfulBladder »

Hairy Scot wrote:If there is only one LAN user then that user can use the full capacity of the internet connection, but if there is more than one then the capacity will be managed so that no single user can hog the connection and each user gets a fair share of the available capacity.
That's QoS or Quality of Service. I don't use it myself, so I can only give you a gist of what I've read.
You set it to about 95% of your max up/down speeds. When traffic approaches those speeds, rules kick in and adjust the traffic. So even when its just you, you get 95% because that's the new limit.
Hairy Scot wrote:The TP-Link WR1043ND is on the list of supported devices, what are the chances of the firmware working with the TP-Link WR1042ND.
Vanishingly small in the short term. The router uses Realtek chips which are not well supported in OpenWrt.

Follow the efforts here:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=46606
TP-Link WDR3600 v1.1 running 1.5.10+ L10n-English (Built 20130922 - OpenWrt r38093)
TP-Link WDR4300 running 1.5.10+ i18n-English (Built 20131010 - OpenWrt r38286)

https://github.com/BashfulBladder/gargoyle-plugins/wiki

Hairy Scot

Re: Questions from a newbie

Post by Hairy Scot »

@Bashful Bladder
Thanks for the info. :D